Author Topic: What headphones?  (Read 4645 times)

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: What headphones?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »
Congrats, I've never heard them, but my understanding is that they sound great.
What amp are you using to drive them with? Could it be that yours are a bit too light to drive them properly?
It's only hifi people....

Offline avflarkit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • 70s baby, early 80s child
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
Congrats, I've never heard them, but my understanding is that they sound great.
What amp are you using to drive them with? Could it be that yours are a bit too light to drive them properly?

I have 'em hooked up to my Creative X-Fi soundcard from my PC, so it's quite possible that I'd be happier with a dedicated HP amp. That will be my next mini-project though  :pleasant:

I haven't tried listening to them through the AVR (Marantz NR1402), but that will happen soon.
Just a 70s baby, early 80s child,
Reminiscing about the days and you think times are hard,
mm-hmm

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 09:45:21 PM »
The HD518 will run just fine from a cellphone, you might just be limited on the volume, but they aren't insane to drive at their impedance.

I also found the HD595 to be muffled sounding and it was also grainy in the treble. It was a great first headphone back then. Personally I like the Philips Fidelio series much better for a good mid-fi option, excellent bass as well which I love on my electronic music.

Don't know whether its possible to mod the HD558 into a HD598 like it was with the HD555 to HD595 mods?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:47:42 PM by kamikazi »

Offline avflarkit

• AVForums Member
  • 70s baby, early 80s child
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 10:02:37 PM »
I wasn't overly afraid of the volume from the BB per se, but rather the 128k thrash metal tune  :puke:

I am becoming aware that my own music library contains some old stuff that simply does not sound so great anymore. Guess I'll have to go through a re-ripping exercise over the vac
Just a 70s baby, early 80s child,
Reminiscing about the days and you think times are hard,
mm-hmm

Offline Babbalas

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »
I have tested Senn HD598s with a Creative X-Fi sound card (Got the Titanium HD) and I'd say it gets it about 80% there compared to the headphone-amp (not a high-end amp by any means).

Instruments and voices just sound extraordinary on the HD598s where'as with the HD449's I prefer electronic stuff, instruments also sound good but not the same as on the 598s. I think its just the much punchier and full bass of the closed back 449 which helps with the electronic stuff.  :groovy:

What I noticed is that with the headphone-amp I can listen to music for hours without my ears getting sore, but directly from a motherboard my ears start hurting after an hour or two, I take it there is some distortion or slight clipping going on.

Offline feesbees

• AVForums Member
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
@kamikazi
How will the HD439's do playing from a phone?

I see Soundselect has Audio Technica ATH-M20X for less than R1k. Any good? http://www.soundselect.co.za/audio-technica-ath-m20x

Bumping things a bit up over R1k, they have some other interesting options too.
Senn H439 R1.1k
Audio Technica ATH - M30 - R1.3k
Senn H380 pro R1.7k

I myself am very interested in the ATH-M20X, and have a budget of around R750. Would these be the best buy for that price? (I am rather new here but have been trolling the forums and classifieds for some time now).

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 08:25:57 AM »
More or less in the R750 budget is the AKG K77's I've got. They're pretty good for the price, I reckon. Very comfy too and I really like the self adjusting headband. Personally I've upped my budget and got a set of JBL s700's from the Classifieds. Picking up today! Hopefully they can address some of the issues I've had soundwise with most of the cheaper cans I've tried.
It's only hifi people....