Author Topic: What headphones?  (Read 5813 times)

Offline BWS

Re: What headphones?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »
I considered the HD429s but having read a review on PCMag or something, it seems the Senn has very little extra to offer above the AKG K77s I currently have. I tried the HD449 in DionWired the other day and its definitely better than the K77s. Now I'm actually thinking that if I want better, I'll add some more dough and go big rather.

Go HD598 minimum :point:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »
Pity its so difficult to source Takstar headphones locally. The Takstar Pro 80 looks like a nice sub R1k option as well, lots of people liking the sound, design is reminiscent of Beyerdynamic headphones. Looks like one would have to go the import route with that one.

Offline Atjan

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »
It's only hifi people....

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 10:06:01 AM »
I know this is not sub R1k but had a listen to some Fanny Wang 1000's, which I NEVER heard of before, and some Monster headphones last night.

The Monster was OMG loud with boot loads of hard hitting deep bass but didn't sound to well controlled at high volumes... got a bit on the muddy side the louder I went...

OMG the Fanny Wang's! Those are some awesome headphones!!! I'm a bit of a bass lover and the Fanny Wang's had it all. Immense volume, tight attacking bass and some nicely detailed deep bass. You could turn up the volumes until your ears bleed and everything just stays well controlled, no muddiness at all (at least to my ears)

But the price of each... :thinking:   

Offline Atjan

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
For a moment I considered the Senn HD380 Pro which is getting very good reviews and is at A1 Sound for a decent price. I have bought from them before and picked up from the store. Which is in Jhb town...

Offline avflarkit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • 70s baby, early 80s child
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 02:59:11 PM »
Has the OP pulled the trigger then?

I've been eyeing the HD439's for a while, so I'm curious, although I've been itching to look at something with that compares to my old HD212's on the low end whilst offering a bit more soundstage (subjective, but hey).
Just a 70s baby, early 80s child,
Reminiscing about the days and you think times are hard,
mm-hmm

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »
You may be interested to know, TakeALot is selling the Sennheiser HD 429 for R.689.oo  standard shipping is free as well..
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Atjan

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »
I got a set of cheap (R109) Phillips over-ear phones for my kids to watch movies and things with on our way to the sea. I listened briefly to them this afternoon and it would be hard to choose between them and the vast majority of cans under R1k I've heard so far. They've got a very comfortable fit and a nice laid back sound. Don't go too loud on my phone either, which is a good thing if I'm giving it to my kids.
Why am I posting that here? Because I don't think there's much difference between them and the Senn HD449's I listened to in DionWired.  :P Not R1300 difference by a long shot, apart from the much better build of the Senns. The Phillips cans I've listened to so far have all been passable to good. In this budget range I think they're well worth considering.

Offline ahoudet

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 08:30:15 AM »

Has the OP pulled the trigger then?

I've been eyeing the HD439's for a while, so I'm curious, although I've been itching to look at something with that compares to my old HD212's on the low end whilst offering a bit more soundstage (subjective, but hey).

I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.  I'm still not sure what to do since the HD202s I'm using are really nice and I'm waiting to compare them to my set when my brother gets back

Offline avflarkit

• AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
After 2 weeks of intensive online reading, I'm leaning towards the ATH-M40x set, since the HD439's are reportedly not reaching the same lows as my HD212's do. The HD380 Pro's are reportedly uncomfortable and the HD518's come with a 6mm plug, so you have to use the 3.5mm adapter, making the connector quite heavy. Sigh. If only there were shops where one could give these a try!!!
mm-hmm

Offline Nikkel

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
I got a set of cheap (R109) Phillips over-ear phones for my kids to watch movies and things with on our way to the sea. I listened briefly to them this afternoon and it would be hard to choose between them and the vast majority of cans under R1k I've heard so far. They've got a very comfortable fit and a nice laid back sound. Don't go too loud on my phone either, which is a good thing if I'm giving it to my kids.
Why am I posting that here? Because I don't think there's much difference between them and the Senn HD449's I listened to in DionWired.  :P Not R1300 difference by a long shot, apart from the much better build of the Senns. The Phillips cans I've listened to so far have all been passable to good. In this budget range I think they're well worth considering.
They're great for the price :thumbs:

My daughters both happy chappies using it with their tabs, just enough volume for them to enjoy and no damage to their ears :2thumbs:

Offline ahoudet

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 01:43:09 PM »
I can get the Beats Solo HD on special on Kalahari at R999...  Are they actually as good as some say?  Or am I better off with the Sennheiser HD202 or HD429?

Offline ahoudet

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »
Another one I'm interested in is the Philips SHL3300...  Same question as above

Offline Atjan

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
Having listened a bit more today, I think I should perhaps temper my praise somewhat, they're not as good my AKG K77s and have a definite closed/box sound to them. Its not intrusive at all and actually sounds pretty good on acoustic music. Still, for the money they are great and I would definitely consider them for anything under about R500.

Offline avflarkit

• AVForums Member
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2014, 09:26:21 PM »
So I lucked into a set of HD 558's today, from Sounds Great. The friendly guys at the Menlyn branch remembered there being stock at the Woodlands branch, which I jumped at. So far, I have some mixed feelings.

+ The soundstage is miles ahead of my much-loved HD 212's
+ They're comfortable enough, although I'm more aware of them sitting on my ears than the older set

- The bass occasionally feels a bit soft, almost "muffled"
- These are obviously bulkier than the lightweight HD 212's, which takes some getting used to

They seem to make jazz and slow rock just outstanding, ie music with clearly separated instruments and voices. I'm trying to find what's required to do the same for electronica, or music where there are generally more sounds playing at the same time. In those cases, it's as if these headies cause an almost "muddying" effect. I'm almost certain I'll get over that though.  :groovy:

I noticed that at anything higher than 1/4 volume, leaking sound is easily heard.

[A side "funny story": I first tried another well known AV shop in Menlyn and asked to try out the HD 518's. The young guy kindly offered to plug them into his Blackberry so that I could listen to some metal. I backed off in a hurry. Then I queried whether they carried any headphones amps perhaps, only to be encouraged to try Game for amplified headphones.  :BWAHAHAH:.]
mm-hmm