Author Topic: What headphones?  (Read 4644 times)

Offline ahoudet

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
What headphones?
« on: November 09, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking at replacing my current headphones - Skullcandy GI - that I bought many years back and would like the best quality possible :).

Budget is about R1000 or so max but obviously the cheaper the better :D.

I listen to a variety of classic rock, rock, alternative, a bit of metal and house, etc...

This is what I've seen so far and would like recommendations / advice:

Sennheiser HD 202 - just bought one and am currently using it as my brother has borrowed my pair of headphones...  This is what got me thinking of changing.

Sennheiser HD 419

Sennheiser HD 429

AKG K44

Philips SHL3300 - I've got a Philips Fidelio dock I love...

Denon D310

I could push the budget and get either a Bose OE2 or SoundTrue Over Ear...  Is it really worth it?

Thanks for the help :)

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: What headphones?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
Takealot is running a special on the Senn 429's - R650 or so. They also have the Harman Kardon CLs for R1000, which I'm hopefully going to get soon. Apparently they have a better build quality than the Senns and works better on lower powered devices, like my cell phone. I've got the AKG K77s at the moment. They are nice headphones for the money, but not the sort of thing I'd want to upgrade to, if that makes sense.
It's only hifi people....

Offline ahoudet

• AVForums Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »

Takealot is running a special on the Senn 429's - R650 or so. They also have the Harman Kardon CLs for R1000, which I'm hopefully going to get soon. Apparently they have a better build quality than the Senns and works better on lower powered devices, like my cell phone. I've got the AKG K77s at the moment. They are nice headphones for the money, but not the sort of thing I'd want to upgrade to, if that makes sense.

I'm watching that Sennheiser special :) - R690.  The Harman Kardons are sold out...  I would have probably jumped at those :(

I will be using the headphones mostly with a Samsung S2 and maybe sometimes on an iPhone 5S...  That's all.

Online gavinbirss

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:40:26 PM »
Consider increasing your budget to around R 1350 and try the Grado SR80e (i formerly) from http://highendaudio.co.za/
You may also shop around for larger ear pads later...

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:56:31 PM »
I'm watching that Sennheiser special :) - R690.  The Harman Kardons are sold out...  I would have probably jumped at those :(

I will be using the headphones mostly with a Samsung S2 and maybe sometimes on an iPhone 5S...  That's all.
Damn....I snoozed and now I loozed on the HKs.

Offline Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+49)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 09:57:08 PM »
If you want to get a small portable set of cans, I can highly recommend the Sennheiser PX100 - wonderful little gems with big sound :)

You may also want to look at the Samson SR850 Professional Studio Reference Headphones. They are going for half your budget. I read good reports sound wise. Apparently build materials used not the best. I am waiting for a pair.

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:27:49 PM »
Sealed or open cans needed? And I'd use a different phone or buy a USB DAC that supports android through an OTG cable, the sound quality on the Galaxy S2 is generally quite terrible. I carried my Galaxy S1 around for years whilst I had the S2 because it sounded so much better.

Sealed choices - Sennheiser HD439, PX-200i
Open headphones - Grado SR80e, Sennheiser PX-100i

Offline ahoudet

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 06:24:50 AM »
I'll take a look at the various suggestions :)

Regarding the S2, I won't be doing anything with that as I intend on buying a 128GB iPhone 6 in the near future and that will replace the S2...

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »
@kamikazi
How will the HD439's do playing from a phone?

I see Soundselect has Audio Technica ATH-M20X for less than R1k. Any good? http://www.soundselect.co.za/audio-technica-ath-m20x

Bumping things a bit up over R1k, they have some other interesting options too.
Senn H439 R1.1k
Audio Technica ATH - M30 - R1.3k
Senn H380 pro R1.7k

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »
I tried the HD439 at a store on my Galaxy S4 and it sounded pretty decent. The HD448 improved quite a bit with an amp, but perhaps Sennheiser increased the efficiency with HD4X9 models? Pity Beats headphones are so ridiculously expensive, I rather liked the new Solo 2, comfortable to wear and looks pretty cool, if they were down at R2k they would have been a nice buy.

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 08:56:28 AM »
Agreee on the Beats. I tried it on my S3 in Look&Listen and liked it a lot. I expected a lot of them though, considering the price.

Offline Jiggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 04:46:48 PM »
Any Senn

Offline ahoudet

• AVForums Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
I think I'm going to go with the HD 429.  Has anyone got or used them and can give an opinion?

Offline BWS

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »
I had the 419's, no complaints at all save for the flimsy cable, not sure if its the same on the 429's ?
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
I considered the HD429s but having read a review on PCMag or something, it seems the Senn has very little extra to offer above the AKG K77s I currently have. I tried the HD449 in DionWired the other day and its definitely better than the K77s. Now I'm actually thinking that if I want better, I'll add some more dough and go big rather.