Author Topic: The headphone heads up thread  (Read 14313 times)

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
The headphone heads up thread
« on: November 03, 2014, 11:27:14 AM »
Thought I'd start a thread where we could post to some good deals on headphone related gear. The general Heads up thread seldom/never have any items related to headphone gear.

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
Re: The headphone heads up thread
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »
Massdrop is currently running a special on the Philips SHP9500 for $70 incl. low shipping to South Africa. Probably the nicest open back headphone you will currently find at the price. Usually you would have to stretch this to at least R2000 to get the Sennheiser HD558 and up. The SHP2000 closed back headphone is very popular in South Africa and probably the best one you can find for under R200, so for fans of Philips sound signature this could be a great option.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
Stickied!!

Thanks DaftPilot, great idea
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline Mistro

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 11:50:13 AM »
Awesome!! :2thumbs:

Must say Philips cans are quite underrated here :nfi: but I quite like them!
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »
Nice thread

And agree - the Philips Fidelio are excellent value for money; alas their unavailability in this 3rd world shithole our market.

Offline Babbalas

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
Hi Guys,

Posted this on the head-up thread as well.

Pair of Grado PS1000s up for sale on Carbonite, http://carbonite.co.za/f13/grado-ps1000-professional-series-headset-88743/ for R15k :)

Believe the price is quite good as well? Not sure.  Maybe someone is looking for some seriously high end headies!

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »
It's a good price, but awful sounding headphones... But for the headphone collector, definitely an interesting option to add. For $500 you can get a far better sounding headphone in the Hifiman HE-400i.

Offline funcrusha76

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:50:17 PM »
It's a good price, but awful sounding headphones... But for the headphone collector, definitely an interesting option to add. For $500 you can get a far better sounding headphone in the Hifiman HE-400i.

Are you referring to all Grados or just this model?

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
If you are curious about the Grado sound, the SR80i is about all you need to hear, better models offer more refinement from there on onwards. The PS500, RS1i and SR325e are the most interesting models, but very expensive for the sound and build you are getting and not to mention that they are uncomfortable... The PS500 is probably the best model in the range.

The PS1000 weighs a ton (as much as planar headphones), costs a fortune and measures utterly :puke:measurements...

Offline funcrusha76

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »
I have the SR80i, which I use for most headphone listening. I agree with you about comfort levels, though this can be improved by swapping the pads for Sennheiser 414 pads and adding extra padding to the head band. They are aggressive sounding and lightweight in the bottom but I find them generally enjoyable. But I agree on the whole that you pay a lot for and under-engineered pair of cans.

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »
I got my Philips Fidelio L1s from Massdrop today after they shipped out some 24 days ago! Total cost was $105 for the headphone (RRP = $300), $15 shipping to SA and I ended up paying $18 in duties/taxes at the Post Office. These headphones kill anything I've heard below R2000 which includes the ATH-M50.

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »
How is this for a bargain! Get the AKG K701/2 or a Massdrop branded derivative thereof for $199 + $15 shipping from the states.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

Online Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »
I like this thread, what is massdrop, like groupon for audiophiles and they ship worldwide?
Music is in the Mind

Offline funcrusha76

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 07:33:28 PM »
How is this for a bargain! Get the AKG K701/2 or a Massdrop branded derivative thereof for $199 + $15 shipping from the states.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

How are they shipped? Could be a gamble given the postal situation.

I've always wanted to try those phones. They need quality amplification though.

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »
How are they shipped? Could be a gamble given the postal situation.

I've always wanted to try those phones. They need quality amplification though.

Yeah, I thought I was going to get my headphone amp that shipped out beginning of October and then in stead I got my headphones that shipped out 4 November, which I was expecting only next year due to the postal strike. Looks like it arrived directly at Cape Mail depot in Goodwood. The depot at Joh'burg Intl. seems like a royal screw up... Perhaps I just got lucky?

Here are some plots and thoughts.. http://www.changstar.com/index.php/topic,1902.0.html I like this site more than Head-Fi for objective headphone discussions, no beating around the bush and no hype trains to Jupiter..