Author Topic: LH LAbs Geek Out  (Read 2418 times)

Offline xenithon

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
LH LAbs Geek Out
« on: October 22, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »
Hi guys

I posted this in the Head-Fi forum but suspect this may be more appropriate. (mods feel free to close / delete the other thread)

You may have heard about the LH Labs Geek Out...one of the many new small USB DAC's and headphone amps. This one though has piqued my interest a lot more than all others.

It features asynchronous USB playback up to 32/384 kHz as well as DSD capability. It also comes in 3 versions depending on your cans (which I prefer over a "jack of all trades" which ultimately compromises in one way or another). There's a 450mW version for cans of 100 ohm impedance or less; an IEM specific version, and a monster 1000mW version for very hungry headphones.

I contacted the company and they're very open to group buys. What do you think? I'm happy to handle it if there is sufficient interest. Who is in? At prices ranging from $199 to $299 I think they're incredible value for money.

Details here

And some pictures:

Who is keen?

Cheers
X

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: LH LAbs Geek Out
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »
I would be interested, especially in the GO1000, the Geek Outs look like terrific bargains. Looks like they had some firmware issues for some while, but those have now been resolved. Could we negotiate a group discount or a shipping discount this way?

Offline xenithon

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
Me too - GO1000 is what I'm after personally too. 

They told me they're open to a group discount of there's enough interest. We'd definitely save on shipping as it would be combined. They also said it's no problem if I want to arrange pickup and it will likely be cheaper if I get someone like Aramex to pickup and bring to SA.

Offline xenithon

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:29 PM »
Hi all. Just bumping to see if there is any interest out there - currently very little so a group buy unfortunately does not look viable.

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 07:22:13 PM »
Nobody keen on a ESS9018-2KM based DAC with a line out and separate headphone output? Beats the pants off the Audioquest Dragonfly and other mini DACs. For the price also includes switchable filters and software volume control that allows it to function as a preamp.

Online Wolla

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • STATUS AUDIO CB-1
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
Thought it was just me lurking around the LH Labs stuff. I have backed the Geek Wave campaign, with the standalone DAC option. Hope to get it within another 6 months. One needs quite a bit of patience with LH Labs stuff. Most people want instant gratification and it will not work with these guys.

The Geek Out gets very good reviews.
St Helena Bay - West Coast, WC
1: Korg DS-DAC-100 > Rotel RA-1070 > Linn Nexus
2: Korg DS-DAC-100m > TPA3116D2 amp > Piega Premium 3
PC: Korg DS-DAC-100 > HK GLA55
HP: Philips SHP895, Fidelio X2; Status Audio CB-1, B&O H3
Casual: Apple HiFi & Music pillow

Offline JimmyRott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:25:44 PM »
I would be interested in the geekout 450. How many guys would we need?

Offline juventino

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
Massdrop has the Geek Out 450 for USD 129.00 plus USD 6.70 shipping
Time to get back to when I enjoyed listening......no more upgrading, more of a headache than a pleasure

Online Nidri

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Don't panic.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I am also interested, 450 or 1000.