Greetings from a guitar amp enthusiast

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunf

Reaction score
Morning gents,

This is my first post so I guess I better introduce myself. My name is Shaun, I live in Durban and I'm a guitarist who has a budding interest in valve electronics, particularly guitar amps. I'm still very much a beginner, having only completed 2 projects, my first being the restoration of a 1969 Marshall 50w guitar amp, and my second being the building of a clone of a particularly famous boutique guitar amplifier called a Trainwreck Express.

When it comes to HiFi amps, I have zero knowledge and I don't believe at this stage I have the time or inclination to branch out either. So what am I doing here then, you ask? Well its about those glowing bottles we all share a love for.

A couple of months ago, I blindly bought several boxes of valves from the daughter of an old gent who was into electronics, HAM radio etc. He was very old and too frail to continue with his hobby and his daughter was trying to tidy out his garage.

When the stuff arrived and I opened the 3 large boxes, there were literally hundreds and hundreds of valves. There were enough of the few kinds I was hoping to get, but many other kinds of audio valves I have no use for at this stage, given I was just looking for some extras to keep my 3 amps going with a good supply. Having spent some time sorting and researching many of the ones I know nothing about, it became clear that many of them are used by guys like you in HiFi amps.

Now I'm not the type to hoard or collect things that I MIGHT use at some point in time. I'd also much rather that these tubes get out there and get used instead of gathering dust, which is why I registered here. Unfortunately the classifieds doesn't permit people to post ad's before getting to 50 posts, which I am unlikely to do, given HiFi is not my interest. As such I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to how I can make these tubes available to people who want/need them?

Cheers,
Shaun