A little "elbow grease" did the job

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi

Repairing "unobtainium" potentiometers is not a very interesting subject but for AVSA's diy'ers who may run into a similar problem with a ganged balance pot from a vintage valve amp, there may be a way out...

There was an issue with a broken balance pot on my SCA-35 and I soon discovered the item was 'unusual' and a new part now unavailable, so I had to make a plan.

This is how I fixed the problem:

1) Postpone the job for a while
2) When it irritates unbearably, take a deep breath and just do it

After I de-soldered the spaghetti bolognese, the control was removed and carefully opened. The problem is in plain view - a broken in half wiper which was originally riveted to the spindle.

I used a locally developed industrial grade epoxy and re-bonded the pieces. As it was too risky to re-rivet the shaft to the wiper, I machined a .5mm groove in the shaft and locked the wiper firmly to the shaft by fitting a very small retaining ring into the groove.

After re-assembly, the repaired item was re-installed and all is well. I'm happy to report there are no burned wires and they are back in exactly the same orientations as before.

mafioso

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0011.JPG