Author Topic: Kya Sands burns  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Kya Sands burns
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »

Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
Re: Kya Sands burns
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »
Kaya Sand informal Settlement is on fire. 100 of people have lost everything. Any donations, clothes, non perishable foods would be welcome as donations. It can be dropped of at Northrand Methodist Church in Blandford road Northriding during office hours. They will make sure it grts to the community in need.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 03:39:26 PM »
ppl can drop off items until about 20h00 tonight and then again from 8h00 - 16h00 tomorrow

Offline SOAN

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:56:05 PM »
Just some update on this from some ppl I know:

God touched me today. ..decided to drive past Kya Sands to check the devastated area from the fire.
On the way back my neighbour phoned to say that the gardener who we share phoned him to say that he had lost everything in the fire.
I phoned Peter and met him on the edge of the squatter camp.

We went inside. ..like something out of a war movie. ..area had been obliterated. ..but these guys have the most amazing ability to get up and start again.

I went to Build It and bought the materials to rebuild Peters home.
Had a great encounter with the EFF. ..so helpful and friendly.  They were the only political party there. ..giving out food to people who can't vote for them because they are all immigrants.

They all carried Peters material to the site of his old shack which was 800m inside.

Then the gift of the givers rocked up. ..amazing organisation! ....

So by tomm night I will be the proud owner of my second home. ..lol...

Seriously it was a very humbling experience which I thank God for touching my heart and making me realize how blessed I am. .....also to have experienced the true power of the human spirit's ability to never loose faith. ...

I also had a very long hard week but compared to what people in Kya Sands have gone thru it was actually a walk in the park..

Offline SOAN

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »

Offline skollie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »
Do you know how the fire started? Do the immigrants staying there have some kind of self-help arrangement or organisation among themselves to a) prevent fires or b) to stop and put out fires getting uncontrollable?

skollie
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Bernard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Stereo .... what stereo ?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
My folks used to live in Kommetjie and there was an informal settlement nearby, compliments Jannie Momberg. They had fires there on a regular basis. My cousin was a volunteer fireman for the Fish Hoek Fire Dept. He always said they were s*it scared to go in there to fight the fires. The victims used to get financial handouts from the municipality to get themselves back on their feet. They were so intent on organising the fires that they used to lay gas bottles at specific places to hinder / slow down the Fire Dept.