My Teac Vintage Audio System

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshDeet

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow forum members!

I've been wanting to do a post about this for a while (since i got my hands on this) but something felt like it was missing  :thinking: Well I've figured out, it was the missing turntable  :whistler:

So here is my post!

This setup is as follows:
Amplifier: TEAC BX-330
Cassette Deck: TEAC CX-310
Tuner: TEAC TX-550
Turntable: TEAC PX-550 (Thanks alternativeroute!)
CD Player: TEAC CD-P250 (mid to late 80's)
Speakers: Sony APM-909

I got my hands on this rather fortunately, a friend of my fathers was cleaning out house, asked if i wanted "some old amplifiers and speakers" and said i could have it all if i fixed his DVD/surround sound remote. So i cleaned up the remote and it worked :2thumbs: The following day i went through to se what i had, and immediately recognized 2 of the systems as from the late 70's early 80's and i was right!

On initial testing, i thought i had a handful of junk... the teac amp powered up but only ran on one channel no matter what i did. the sony amp was dead. I found this strange, as there wasn't even any dust on the units, no scratches, and no signs of water damage  :thinking: so i kinda put it aside for a while. A couple weeks later, i decided to have another look, and what do you know!? the other channel starts working...  :2thumbs: Turns out there was just dust in the source selector  :facepalm:

So i disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt the amp, retuned the Tuner (station lines up with the readout) and cleaned out the cassette player. Everything worked perfectly!  :clap: :Whoohoo: I decided to use the Sony APM-909 speakers, as the original amp (although i got it back to life) is extremely fiddly (i guess there's a bad relay) they were also the best sounding of all my bookshelves.

Now down to the sound. The BX-330 is a transistor amp, so no valves here. The amp has all original components (as far as i can tell) and wow does it sound nice... The sound is warm and full, with a nice smooth but precise bass response, and accurate, crisp treble. Mids are well balanced, and clean.

the sound from the small (5 inch) bookshelves surprised me the first few times  :groovy: there's an amazingly tight bass response without any sacrifice in the lower end as many bookshelves do. Mids and treble are accurate, warm, and full. i was impressed! :rubhands:

The tuner and cassette player are also great, and play well.

Yesterday i added the matching turntable, thanks to Jacques, TurntableGuy, who happened to have one for sale at the exact time i was looking for one!  :Whoohoo: :Whoohoo: I'm glad to report that it plays smoothly, with great sound quality (compared to other phono's I've heard) the speed is perfectly stable, so no funny pitch changes  :thumbs:

I will post some photos later in the day, for now, here's a video of everything in action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNFzjtqa924

Regards,
Joshua Deetlefs

Latest posts