Author Topic: My Vintage Collection: Time for some Housekeeping - or not?  (Read 46660 times)

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Re: My Vintage Collection: Time for some Housekeeping - or not?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »
Supergrand was selling one a while ago - is this the one you bought?

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,21230.msg271857.html#msg271857

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »
Hey mr FD ... Will you post more pics pls sire .. I have feeling there's 100's of missing pics on your thread here.

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »
Sir, I need to take some pics. Here are some old ones that I took a while ago to try remind me what I have where...

Sansui AU-777, TU-777 playing through AR-100 speakers

Pioneer Prelude 4000A Quad Tuner/Amp

Old rescued Garrard 301 Grease-Bearing lying on a 401 plinth

SME 3009 Arm which needs to be fitted to the above plinth

Sansui Linear Tracking PM-7

These all still need to evaluated, except for the AU-777 batch, which is connected and playing just luvverly :)

The 301 may - or not - go, as I have a few of them but no decisions yet.

EDIT: Nah.... I will lovingly keep it!!  :angel:

The SME is a keeper!

Someone ages ago expressed interest in the PM-7, but I can't recall who.

EDIT: Gone to Jaded Gem!

The Pioneer, as always, simply looks good! Guess when I tire of the Leak setup, I will connect that up to the Wharfies.

More pics later, the stuff is not all stored in a place suitable for taking pics.

-F_D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:26:59 PM by Family_Dog »

-Eric

Offline jadedgem

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 05:27:16 PM »
Think of the fun we could have had had you and Brian (jadedgem) lived closer to me. I had visions of shelving all over the place with my vintage sets all wired up and playing - probably all at the same time too!  ;)

All my tuners are tuned to just one station:

The image above is of a Denon AVR-3805, also in storage somewhere. Going to go look for it now because to be honest, I dunno where it is. Brilliant amp with a crappy remote and sadly no HDMI inputs. Hardly vintage though - or is it?

-F_D

I would borrow  a caravan and come camp out on your lawn for a month- Your place- Charlies and the choclate factory for vintage audiophiles. I wonder how those wharfies will compare to my goodmans magnum mkii's. the drivers on the goodmans doesn't even have foam surrounds it looks like some kind of special film tape material.

Offline jadedgem

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 05:30:18 PM »
The Pioneer is a keeper, but it needs new 8v MES globes and a touch of contact cleaner on the tuning cap.

I think its the same globes I need for two of the vu meters on my Pioneer qudrophonic decoder. They almost look like fuses.

Offline jadedgem

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
Hey mr FD ... Will you post more pics pls sire .. I have feeling there's 100's of missing pics on your thread here.

I think if he showcases all his vintage it will be more than all of us at the vintage section have together. Twist his arm to post his very big array of Sansui bits.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »
I think its the same globes I need for two of the vu meters on my Pioneer qudrophonic decoder. They almost look like fuses.

Yep, I need those as well, festoon types. Wonder which bright spark decided to make use of 8v globes instead of either 6v or 12v - both still readily available.

I would do an overseas/ebay search if only we had a reliable PO in this country.

-F_D

-Eric

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 01:02:13 AM »
Nooiooot...
Seems like all the stuff here will become keepers ? Lol

C'mon sire .. I want the Sansui and the AR.. I don't even know what an AR 100 is ...
Pls don't tell me those are the 1's .. Pls pls don't tell me that... That is a speaker I will exchange all my other carp for ... 😄😄.

Actually to be realistic ( else I'll just want everything you post here ..)...
For my vintage mono sins .. I would like to still get the mono system completed...

a mono Tuner specificly to go with the leak varislope mono amp and Williamson..
I use the vintage isophon speakers with this and the dual 1019...

I actually saw a mono needle for the shure M44 cart it is an n44-3 ( saw it in on ebay ) ,, but I can't purchase from ebay as I don't use credit cards etc .. So can only hope to get a n44-3 also locally somehow ....

Then I actually wanted to ask if there is even such a thing as a mono Tapedeck ?
If so I would like to add one to this set as well...else I would have to be happy with a suitable stereo Tapedeck and just mono strap it...

That will sort out the mono system ... cart, Tapedeck , the tuner and TT..

I will then get the Ferrograph series 6 fixed as that should go nice with the mono vintage set( just I think mine was actually upgraded to a stereo FP16 head  :nfi:)...

Anyway sire ..if you come across anything that you can possibly consider passing on pls keep the above in mind ...

Offline jadedgem

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
I have been wanting a Sansui tt since like forever and here he goes posting one. Makes me depro..  :wallbreak: You don't have any unmarried daughters perhaps Mr FD?

Offline JohnnyIC

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »
You wouldnt by any chance have a sansui tu-555 laying around somewhere?  ;D

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
Brian, I think I gave a Sansui TT away to a member here some years ago - I had five TTs of various makes that were just taking up space (which really is at a premium). You simply joined the forum just too late! ;). But you might twist my arm into taking this one, it did work when I last tested it but that was some 4-5 years ago.

King J, I have a Toshiba PT-850S Stereo tape deck (R2R, 7" reels) that I bought second-hand from a local shop aeons ago but have never used because I procrastinate. Just been to check, it is stereo, not mono. Have no idea if it works, belts would probably need replacing by now. The AR-100 are the Sansui speakers connected to the 777 range in a previous photo.

Looks like this one (pic off the 'net), but mine is complete and in much better condition.

JohnnyIC, I have Sansui TU-666 and TU-777 tuners, all connected to their respective amps. One of the TU-666 tuners was going to be dumped by its owner because he claimed it did not work. I offered to take it off his hands, fixed it and today it's my prime workshop tuner, coupled to an old Sony TA-70 amplifier. I thought i had a TU-555, but just had a quick squiz and cannot see it, so if I do, it might be packed away. If I don't, means I've gotta find one! ;)

And so it goes on...

-F_D

-Eric

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »
Tx FD.

I think I am overstocked with the RTR's anyway as I just want to keep 2 and have 3 now.

Would you part with any nice tuner for a vintage setup ? Even mono or stereo .. Or one of each 😄.
And then what speakers/drivers are you gonna look at parting with as that is my weak point ... Vintage drivers / speakers make me loose all sanity ...

Offline jadedgem

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »
Yep, I need those as well, festoon types. Wonder which bright spark decided to make use of 8v globes instead of either 6v or 12v - both still readily available.

I would do an overseas/ebay search if only we had a reliable PO in this country.

-F_D

When you order from ebay order for me as well and we can split the shipping

Offline jadedgem

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 12:08:37 PM »
Brian, I think I gave a Sansui TT away to a member here some years ago - I had five TTs of various makes that were just taking up space (which really is at a premium). You simply joined the forum just too late! ;). But you might twist my arm into taking this one, it did work when I last tested it but that was some 4-5 years ago.

A Sansui tt is like my dream tt. I dont care about Thorens, Linn you know I like my Jap vintage more and to make matters worse JohnnieIc has sourced a very good Sansui tt and I feel so left out now.    :walled:

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »

-F_D

Can't you mod them to led? Or would that be vintage sacrilege?
Music is in the Mind