Author Topic: Vintage AKAI speakers  (Read 430 times)

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
Vintage AKAI speakers
« on: January 15, 2018, 06:36:34 PM »
I got hold of these lovely old (late 60's/early 70's) AKAI SW-130 speakers.
Pristine 12" drivers and big, solid, well-built cabinets.
They came with 3.5" 10W 8-Ohm tweeters and very basic crossovers.

Specs:
System:- 2 ways and 2 speaker bus reflex book shelf type
For low-pass: 30cm corn type
For high regions: 9cm corn type
Frequency response: 50Hz - 18000Hz
The maximum input: 25W
Impedance: 8ohms
Output sound pressure level: 100dB/W
Crossover frequency: 3500Hz(12dB/oct)
Dimensions: Width 420x height 570x depth of 310mm
Weight: 13.1kg

Unfortunately, the one tweeter has been replaced by an incorrect one. So I am looking for 1 x 3.5" 10W 8-Ohm AKAI 3H-1 tweeter, or a pair of suitable replacement tweeters. Or what should I do? The replaced tweeter also does not have a crossover in the cabinet, so I would need to make up a crossover... There is only a small coil, and 1 capacitor!

Any advice? Or a tweeter, or a pair, for sale? Please let me know!

Pictures:

Thanks,
Johan
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Online King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Vintage AKAI speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
Now u have to get a SET amp on it and let us know pls .. these should sound pretty good if you need to lift them
on a stand please try use a solid stand if the modern type makes them
Sound lightweight .. I noticed this with my corals ... if one places them on a solid wood block thats even a bit wider then the box itself and thatís coupled directly to your floor with no spacing and long legs etc... they maintain a decent LF as well and therefore donít sound so light .. I accidentally discovered this by placing them on top of my Yamaha speakers oneday just to test something and ended up sitting listening for quite sometime .. they are now keepers ... nice accident to have for a 100 bucs speakers
I then A/b them with the metal 3 legged type stands I used to play them with and it was a complete transformation in sound quality .. you know the type thatís night and day clear where you donít even have to measure to make a call ...

Wish you can find the original stuff here ..
the only Akai speakers made I japan type I ever came across is the ones built into the M9 RTR and with cloth surrounds and very stiff thin paper ala lowther .. they are a mere 2Ē but there is something special about them they play music very nicely .. no unnecessary attention drawing of any sorts ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 07:06:11 PM »
the only Akai speakers made I japan type I ever came across is the ones built into the M9 RTR

I have read that these were made as "external" speakers for AKAI R2R machines.

Thanks for the reply, and thoughts on these.  :thumbs:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline marantz123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:10:43 PM »
Aqua

Nice set. Those are Coral drivers. Coral supplied manufacturers with drivers back then.  I found these exact speaker set in a pair of Acousta Sonics from the late 60's, early 70's.  There were 2 (8ohm 10w) tweets wired in series in each cabinet. Theres one issue with these tweeters though. If you lift that grey felt you will find that they are not sealed- metal backs underneath.  Being sealed box enclosures, pressure from the woofer damages the thin paper of the tweeter(awesome natural sounding paper tweets by the way) as the felt  'leaks'. I resorted to repairing and treating the cones with a water based natural sealer, removing the felt and found a way to seal the backs with epoxy putty and this made such an improvement in the sound stage. The highs were beautiful and uncoloured by the woofer. I suspect that a tweet was changed in your set due to damage from the woofer pressure. Inspect the paper cone on the remaining tweeter for cracks. These drivers sound very nice. Similar drivers in the Coral BX300's (10L-17 woofer,4H-3 mid, 2H-15A tweet). If I come across a tweet, will let you know.

Online King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:18:08 AM »
These Corals are sleepers .. connected my little bx200 yesterday after this post and enjoyed them again 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 01:42:59 PM »
I suspect that a tweet was changed in your set due to damage from the woofer pressure. Inspect the paper cone on the remaining tweeter for cracks.

Thanks for that - probably exactly what happened. I will check out the remaining one.
I have read that they are Coral's, and should sound really good.  :thumbs: