Conquer the Dust Bug

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wice

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been dreading the removal of the Dust Bug from a Garrard 401 after seeing the results on the net.

Today I though I would try it after a trawl of the web to find a sure fire method that would work.

Didn't find one so tried my luck.

This is how I did it and it went pretty well.

First off I soaked the bug with lots of mineral turps. LOTS of it as it evaporates fast.

1-20140906_135935.jpg

The bug then just peeled off leaving the dreaded ring.

1-20140906_141329.jpg

I let the ring dry and then scraped it with my thumb nail, pieces cracked off but left some residual.

Felt like  my thumbnail was about to fall off so tried to find some other thing softer than the paint, used a GoPro mount to scrape some more off.

1-20140906_143321.jpg

That only work to some extent, got tired of that, so pulled out the Dremel with nylon brush, and worked it with more mineral turps.

That also only worked up to a point, then nothing.

Switched to a buffing pad with polishing compound (small mistake), that worked a treat, but left a cloudy dof imprint.

1-20140906_175456.jpg

Next was probably the best method to clean up the small marks still left. The back of a kebab stick dipped in turps.

That reminds me of Flight of the Conchords so had to put that on quickly.

After working the spots with the kebab sticks, (like a part time model) :p and some Mr Min.

1-20140906_180401.jpg

Latest posts