Placement, dips and peaks etc.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adie

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's the front of my  room. Speakers have moved forward to the edge of the carpet and the tweeters are now on the inside as they were meant to be.

Here's my frequency reading on my TacT unit

The speakers are linked to the sub (line in from the TacT and out to the power amp), so the Tact sees each speaker as speaker +Sub.

The problem I posted in teh Tact User Group:
In the screenshot you will see the low speaker levels that my RCS 2.0 reads.
This seems unusually low. Is it and if so how do I adjust?
The volume difference between corrected and Bypass is huge and at low levels Bypass is sometimes preferable in my smallish room.

The advice I had:
"The first thing you should try is to move the speakers, sub, and the listening position to see if you can get a smoother response in the measurement to reduce the peaks and dips.

Looking at your measurement, the largest dip is about ?33 dB around 270 Hz and the largest peak is about +5 dB around 38 Hz. Accounting for the target curve there is a difference of about ?6 dB at those frequencies. That means the RCS will apply about (5 + 33 ? 6 =) 32 dB of attenuation (that?s a lot!) to the source input level to match the measured response with the target curve since the RCS tries to fix a dip by lowering the level at other frequencies to the level of the dip (with respect to the target curve.) That is why the level of the correction is so low. The RCS (especially the RCS 2.0, which automatically normalizes the correction filter) does not boost the level at a dip as this would likely cause digital clipping.

If you cannot reduce the magnitude of the dip or the peak by moving the speakers/sub/listening position, or by adjusting the gain of the subwoofer, then you will have to modify your target curve so that it more closely follows the largest dip and peak; that is, put a dip in the target curve where the dip occurs and a peak where the peak occurs. This should reduce the amount of attenuation the RCS applies to the input signal while still correcting most of the frequency range."

All good but before I start fiddling, any suggestions would be welcome. I can't move my sub more than a few inches back (unless I buy longer cables from Hi- Phibian). I can of course adjust gain and crossover, currently at less than quarter volume and 55hz. Speakers go down to 45hz and the setting, uncorrected, seemed best to my ear. I thought that was a good place to start before taking measurements, applying corrections and target curves.

I can move my speakers a little sideways and back or forward (max 20cm forward). The planar bit is 70cm from the back wall.
I have read and tried to understand the problems peculiar to dipole speakers.

Thanks in advance.
Adrian