Onkyo 807 - dark upscaling from DSTV

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrovega

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So, i'm busy getting my Onkyo 807 up and running over the last two weeks, and so far i've encountered two major problems.

Firstly, there seems to a HDMI handshake issue with my Samsung LCD and the PS3. Originally i had the PS3 fat and it flat out didn't synchronise. But now that i've changed to the PS3 slim it synchronises, but i do have to turn the AVR off and then back on. Minor irritation, but irritation nonetheless.

Second thing, when conecting the standard DSTV decoder to the AVR and then output via HDMI from the AVR to the LCD, gives a very dark picture. Even without upscaling, on Through mode, this still happens. I've adjusted my LCD as much as i can, as it affects the other sources as well, so if i increase the gamma/brightness it makes the other channels look rubbish. I've done a picture-in-picture comparison of the AV source of DSTV (directly to my LCD) and DSTV via the AVR, and there is a huge quality loss on the AVR, yes i know, it's supposed to increase the quality. I've adjusted the settings on the AVR as well to no avail. It only makes the bright/normal scenes brighter, but the low lit/dark scenes are horrible. Something to note tho, this issue doesn't affect BD or DVD's, just the DSTV signal.

Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks

Latest posts