Author Topic: What was the last Film you watched?  (Read 45758 times)

Offline Des Miles

Re: What was the last Film you watched?
« Reply #465 on: July 11, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »
Ya... "The Green mile". Brilliant movie! Best supporting actor had to be Stuart Little as Mr. Jingles.....

Offline psymon007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • ====<0 ♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
« Reply #466 on: July 11, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »
An undeniably great movie ^^^

Infinitely better thank Black Panther which I watched two days back

Gawsh, I cannot agree more, Black Panther has to be the biggest load of over hyped, over budget, over the moon load of tripe i've ever seen...

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #467 on: July 11, 2018, 11:56:52 PM »
Gawsh, I cannot agree more, Black Panther has to be the biggest load of over hyped, over budget, over the moon load of tripe i've ever seen...

I honestly don’t even know how Black Panther qualified to be called a “movie”, that is how bad it is. Even the last Steven Seagal release was better.

Last movie I watched was Rampage starring Dwayne the Rock. Except for some cool CGI in places it was totally uninspiring. Not nearly as bad as Black Panther though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:04:35 AM by Drifter »

Offline chrisflex

« Reply #468 on: July 15, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
~ music is imagination given instrumentation ~

Offline 2wice

« Reply #469 on: July 15, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »
Been watching The Lord of the Rings again.
Didn't realise they were the extended versions so 4.5 hours was a bit long, and every so often I got a "I have no memory..." vibe and some ants in the pants.

It has aged very well.

Also watched The Usual Suspects again, my better 3rd had never seen it. Still one of the best movies for me, although the latest fiddling with the boys allegations against Spacey does colour the appreciation of an outstanding performance.
This does raise the question if a crime diminishes prior art.

Online BJ

« Reply #470 on: July 15, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
Been watching The Lord of the Rings again.
Didn't realise they were the extended versions so 4.5 hours was a bit long, and every so often I got a "I have no memory..." vibe and some ants in the pants.

It has aged very well.

Also watched The Usual Suspects again, my better 3rd had never seen it. Still one of the best movies for me, although the latest fiddling with the boys allegations against Spacey does colour the appreciation of an outstanding performance.
This does raise the question if a crime diminishes prior art.

My daughter is most probably the Biggest Tolken fan, I know of...

From special collector books, to special collector sculptures of the characters...and and and.

We had to sit through a movie marathon last year with her in Germany, watching the entire extended series...

Plus all the behind the scenes of the making of the movie...

Needless to say....I came back to SA a complete converted 🤣🤣🤣
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #472 on: July 16, 2018, 09:10:59 AM »
My wife, son and I went to go and see the Antman and the Wasp.
The storyline was okay and the CGI was good but man, the acting was flat and uninspiring. The jokes were also weak and not even Michael Pena could save it.
A 4 out of 10 movie. At least they managed to tie it in to Infinity War.
So far the second weakest recent Marvel offering after Black Panther.

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #473 on: July 16, 2018, 03:03:13 PM »
Thor: Ragnarok

The 1st Thor movie was uninteresting and mediocre at best, and it's sequel equally uninspiring.  Thor Raganarok is Marvel's latest attempt to elevate the franchise to new heights.   First and foremost, it must be said.... as a visual showcase, Ragnarok "looks" good.  While hardly "original"  it does have a distinct look to it, much in the same vein as "300" did.  But 300 was barely a movie, but a showcase of slo-mo fight scenes, kinda like that 1 memorable "matrix" scene, except dragged-out into a full-length movie. 
A-hem!, Pagan... please stick to the Thor movie!    >:(   
Apologies.   :angel:

Strangely enough, for a 3rd movie in a lacklustre trilogy, Ragnarok doesn't take itself too seriously,  but I mean that in a "good" way.  It has a surprisingly good sense of humour nogal.  The CGI is among the best in the industry imo.  The story is ridiculous but I must admit I was mildly entertained by the humour and the visual spectacle that is Ragnarok.   This was not a bad movie.  It wasn't a good 1 either, but I have to be fair and give credit when due, for Marvel have worked some special magic here in bringing us something truly "not as crap" as their other offerings.     
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:05:55 PM by PaganMcLoud »
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Online Toxxyc

« Reply #474 on: July 16, 2018, 03:18:23 PM »
I LOVED Ragnarok.  From the start they said they're going to make it a comedy, and they did :P

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #475 on: July 16, 2018, 04:01:58 PM »
Dark River - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5700176/ - depressing. I'm not into movies about abused children "finding themselves" as adults. A good, thought inspiring saga, but not my scene at all.

The Rider - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6217608/ - really enjoyable horsey / rodeo cowboy rider type movie about a young man who tries to create a life after rodeo. The director used untrained actors, starring as themselves, to make the film. Whole family enjoyed it.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline GvR

« Reply #476 on: July 16, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
Thor 1  7.5/10 :2thumbs:
Thor 2   5.5/10
Thor 3     3/10  :cr@p:

Just could not stand watching some serious actors forced to be funny . Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2 is funny.  Some of the sets in Thor Ragnarok looked like they came from Star Trek TV Series from the 80's.   

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #477 on: July 16, 2018, 08:08:47 PM »
I LOVED Ragnarok.  From the start they said they're going to make it a comedy, and they did :P
:point: That makes about as much sense as "We promised you utter shyte, and boy, did we deliver, in spades! We really do not deserve to be criticised about this one!"  :ROFLMAO:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #478 on: July 20, 2018, 01:47:14 PM »
The Shrek Series.

Shrek 1:  Was AWESOME!!  (Lord Farquart was the reason)
Shrek 2: Was pretty good also.  Could've been AWESOME! (no Lord Farquart tho, methinks thats the reason)
Shrek 3: Was kak.  (Justin Timberlake was the reason)
Shrek 4: Was OK, but Rumpel was AWESOME!!

Mike Myers is brilliant as the voice of Shrek.  Eddie Murphy is hilarious as Donkey.  Antonio Banderas is perfect as Puss.    :thinking:

Cameron Diaz' performance as Princess Fiona, serves as undeniable proof that this woman should NEVER attempt voice-acting AGAIN!  (Or any other form of acting for that matter.) 

A wonderful series actually... its name blackened only by a totally rubbish Shrek 3.
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline PaganMcLoud

« Reply #479 on: July 21, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
Hacksaw Ridge (2016)

Been patiently waiting for a decent war flick.  This one's directed by Mel Gibson, so if Braveheart and Apocalypto were anything to go by.... then I was in for a real treat with Hacksaw Ridge.  But then again.... Dunkirk was directed by Nolan, so that's flawed logic nowdays.   :-\ 

Mel Gibson does a fine job of fleshing-out the movie's characters and storyline before the true battle at Hacksaw Ridge begins.  Somehow, his movies have always proven "consistent" in that believable "pulse" and "heartbeat" they have.  I enjoy his movies.

Truth is... the acting is a little dodgy here and there, and although quite good overall, I felt like the main character (played by that "Amazing Spiderman" guy) was perhaps a little "out-of-his-depth."  Don't get me wrong,  the "charm" was there, and he does a fine job actually, just not quite as good a job that should be a basic requirement of any movie's lead role.   

Once the battle begins Mel Gibson starts to show his true colours.  Production quality is above average, but what I'm sure was meant to be "visceral" "brutal" and "real..." just seems to happen far too quickly, and he takes things a little too far imo.  "Gratuitous" would best describe his battle scenes.  These scenes are not bad by any stretch, just out-of-place in a movie that aims to tug at one's heartstrings, but then rips that heart out of your chest 'n goes "Na, nana na na!"   They definitely should've hired some real Japanese to play the enemy soldiers though.  White americans in bad make-up does kinda ruin the overall "credibility" of the production. 

In the end, this was really not a bad movie at all, and I would still highly recommend it to war-movie buffs.  Slightly above average.  Gibson crushes Nolan and the poo-fest that is Dunkirk, but nowhere close to the level of "Saving Private Ryan" so Spielberg reigns king, and that title is well-deserved considering what he achieved with a story so ridiculous, overly sentimental and ultimately "rubbish" as THAT was.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 03:21:10 PM by PaganMcLoud »