Author Topic: What was the last Film you watched?  (Read 87854 times)

Offline JoziNic

Re: What was the last Film you watched?
« Reply #810 on: July 25, 2020, 11:10:31 AM »
In going back to some of the greats, last night Road to Perdition. What a superb piece of filmmaking & acting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline Burzat

« Reply #811 on: July 31, 2020, 06:46:28 PM »
King Kong by Peter Jackson. Lot of promise but overly long.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Offline fredeb

« Reply #812 on: July 31, 2020, 09:23:35 PM »
About 2 or 3 years ago my daughter begged me to watch the whole Potter series with her. Her 4th or so round :)
I ended up enjoying it a lot.

I love magical fantasy movies , even at 50yo . When I was in my 20's I was a real art-movie snob , now I like almost anything .
...evolution is the gradual development and stratification of progressive series of wholes, stretching from the inorganic beginnings to the highest level of spiritual creation.
Jan Smuts

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #813 on: August 02, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »
Just watched John Wick III,

Honestly he is more like Steven Seagal,
Guys with loaded guns decides to do fist fight and knife fights only when it suits him do guns gets used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline Rnwza

« Reply #814 on: August 02, 2020, 07:49:50 PM »
Re watched LA Confidential again...such a quality flick!
"Music is essentially useless. As life is." - George Santayana

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #815 on: August 02, 2020, 08:04:43 PM »
Just watched John Wick III,

Honestly he is more like Steven Seagal,
Guys with loaded guns decides to do fist fight and knife fights only when it suits him do guns gets used.

Totally agree by the time number 3 came out, it just got silly. But the amazing thing about number 1, was the “realism” of the gun skills, how he clears a room, enters a room, quick reloads, ammo drops etc very good detail...also the excellent detail in the Jiujitsu fighting sequences a lot of training went into them (Keanu reeves spent hours on the mats with the machado brothers to ensure they got them to be as real as possible at least in the first one) by the time number 3 came around it all became a bit much.
But i did certainly appreciate the attention to detail in number 1

This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest police station

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #816 on: August 02, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »
Seem to be in an classic Tom Hanks run, Big 1988. What a super duper movie. I think his first and wow. As great as I remember it.

I challenge any and all to watch it and disagree that Millie Bobbi Brown (eleven from stranger things) and Elizabeth Perkins, the lead female character in Big, are the same person 32 years apart.

Offline Vince MacMahon

« Reply #817 on: August 02, 2020, 08:15:04 PM »
Totally agree by the time number 3 came out, it just got silly. But the amazing thing about number 1, was the “realism” of the gun skills, how he clears a room, enters a room, quick reloads, ammo drops etc very good detail...also the excellent detail in the Jiujitsu fighting sequences a lot of training went into them (Keanu reeves spent hours on the mats with the machado brothers to ensure they got them to be as real as possible at least in the first one) by the time number 3 came around it all became a bit much.
But i did certainly appreciate the attention to detail in number 1

I put the volume to reference, sat back and enjoyed the fighting scenes, especially the last one with the Japanese gang! Swords and all, the detail was fantastic!

Marantz - B&W - SVS - AudioQuest

Offline legro

« Reply #818 on: August 02, 2020, 10:07:51 PM »
^ Just love the  John Wicks ( have to confess that the dog could get more screen time, but in movies like these it usually means  they're done.)

If you, like me, are a late onset KR fan ( wow, despite Matrix ) do check out a rather obscure movie called Street Kings.

1, not 2.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:13:24 PM by legro »

Offline KenMasters

« Reply #819 on: August 03, 2020, 11:04:05 AM »
I put the volume to reference, sat back and enjoyed the fighting scenes, especially the last one with the Japanese gang! Swords and all, the detail was fantastic!

The end fight (before Mark Decascos, who's American) was with Indonesian martial artists made famous in a film called "The Raid". If you liked what you saw in John Wick 3 and haven't seen it yet, definitely worth your time.

What I loved about the 3rd movie was that it was very much an homage to older films that lead to the style of action found in John Wick. I didn't know about this aspect going in and wasn't expecting much since I didn't think much of the 2nd installment. Once the film started I began picking up scenes I recognised, then it dawned on me what the film was doing and man, did I lap it up - began annoying my wife with explanations and eventually settled on just saying the film a scene or reference was derived from out loud as we were watching. After the film we hopped on YouTube and I looked up what clips I could find for her, great experience!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:07:45 AM by KenMasters »

Offline d0dja

« Reply #820 on: August 03, 2020, 01:55:18 PM »
"Yesterday" - oddball british movie (although mostly set in LA) where a failed musician gets knocked off his bicycle, comes to in hospital and no one has every heard of the Beatles. They don't exist. So he writes down as much of their tunes as he can remember and becomes a pop megastar. And other antics. Great concept and execution, although it always swerves towards Feel Good every time an interesting story starts to bud.

Offline JoziNic

« Reply #821 on: August 03, 2020, 02:12:51 PM »
"Yesterday" - oddball british movie (although mostly set in LA) where a failed musician gets knocked off his bicycle, comes to in hospital and no one has every heard of the Beatles. They don't exist. So he writes down as much of their tunes as he can remember and becomes a pop megastar. And other antics. Great concept and execution, although it always swerves towards Feel Good every time an interesting story starts to bud.
It is a great reminder of just how awesome the Beatles’ were

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist, DIYer
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #822 on: August 03, 2020, 09:36:32 PM »
It is a great reminder of just how awesome the Beatles’ were
:popcorn:
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis