Issues with Off Axis Listening...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg

Reaction score
Hi,

As memtioned before, I'm hoping to buy a home theatre kit soon... Originally I had my eye on the KEF Q-series... but I am now also concidering the Mordant Shot Avant 900s (Like Alphabets) and also the B&W DM300... as they are cheaper options.

I'm concerned though... One one review for the DM300s and another on the Avant 900s, they mention that the sound is edgy or aggressive when listening from a position that is outside the speakers normal axis. (see the quote below)

The only negative point raises its head when listening from well off the normal listening axis, near the sides of the room. Here the Mordaunt-Short package can sound rather raw and edgy, thanks to the way the output of the various drivers fails to fully integrate except on the main axis.

Has anyone demo'ed the Kefs and either of the other, and noticed this effect? The Kefs Uni-Q driver is meant to be very good in this regard... I'm just wondering if it will be worth saving a bit more for the Kefs? Unfortunately I can't find anyone in the Cape which stocks both for a comparison...

BTW, sorry for the long post!  :mrgreen:

Cheers
Greg