Author Topic: Members' Kit pics  (Read 1218483 times)

Offline MadHat

Re: Members' Kit pics
« Reply #6525 on: July 10, 2018, 10:08:09 PM »
Upgrade completed .....

Out with the B1's and in with the B1 Decades.

And the difference in sound?

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #6526 on: July 11, 2018, 06:50:00 AM »

It took me the entire last Sunday to crate up the B1's and uncrate the B1D's so listening was limited to testing and very initial placement.
I'll spend more time this weekend and will do a more comprehensive write up then.
Initial listening identified 2 very immediate differences. Firstly the bass on the B1D's is simply massive. It has much more impact and weight than the B1's. Secondly the treble is much improved. It has more sparkle and conveys a bit more fine detail. Unfortunately my living room where the speakers are now is acoustically very poor. I've already converted a spare garage into a home cinema and I'm running out of space. I'm considering my options to move the system to another room and have initiated early discussions with the boss.
Physically the speakers are gorgeous. I simply love the red. It is a deep red, not a cheap red - the photos do not do it justice. The new magnetic grills are also miles ahead of the old grills that the B1's had (which was really a sub standard design).

I upgraded the Devialet's firmware last night to the version that was newly released yesterday. This still remains the most impressive piece of technology that I have ever had the pleasure of laying my grubby paws on. Initially the French company battled to get the software sorted, they hired a team of software experts who got it going quite quickly. Streaming over wifi is absolutely rock solid and the integration with Roon is simply a pleasure to use - more so if you add Tidal to Roon. I'm now comfortable to say that this has reached the point where it just cannot get any better, simpler and faster. This is the ultimate in digital music streaming. If you have spare cash, is in the market for a new amp and have outgrown the concept of romance (read: valves  :sh1tstirrer:) then buy yourself a Devialet.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:03:49 AM by Drifter »

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #6527 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:44 AM »
Having heard the Decades powered by a Devialet at Mervin' s place, I can concur with your initial findings. The bass floored me,rock solid with plenty of weight/slam and there seemed to be an added level of detail that I had not heard on the B1s. Brilliant speakers

Superb set up Drifter and congrats man  :2thumbs:
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs On Order. Spades in Stock
« Reply #6528 on: July 11, 2018, 08:50:00 AM »
Nice.  How does the LS50 sound as a center speaker?

Offline Dolby

« Reply #6529 on: July 11, 2018, 03:13:46 PM »
Thanks guys.

I'm pretty much satisfied with my system right now :) For the first time in my life, I have the same centre speaker as my mains ... and now I have a 'wall' of sound in the front.

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6530 on: July 16, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »

Please give your impression moving from the B1’s to Decades.

So I managed to spend quite some time over the weekend with set up. I used to have each B1 on a granite plinth to remove them off the wooden floor to some extent. With the Decades I’m almost convinced there is an ever so slightly increased time alignment slant compared the B1’s. Even my wife noticed it and after unpacking the speakers indicated that the speakers seem to be “leaning back” more than the B1’s. I can’t find any literature on it and have made a mental note to ask Philip Guttentag about this next time I chat to him.

As the granite plinths are quite high, the increased height together with the perceived slant lifted the Decades’ tweeters to a level that I was not happy with the position when seated in the normal listening spot. I therefore removed the plinths and initially had the speakers directly on the floor on the little hard rubber feet they came with. As mentioned in my previous post, the bass on the Decades differ from the B1 and more listening on Friday night confirmed that it is quite a substantial change.  I cycled through various speaker positions and toe-ins and ended up with the Vivid recommended position where the speakers cross directly in front of the listener’s face.

On Saturday morning I sourced some floor protectors and changed the rubber feet for the spikes with lots of help from the wife. I got my electronic measuring device out and spent a few hours carefully measuring out distances between the speakers, distance from the rear wall, toe-in degrees as well as cross over points in front of the listening position. The introduction of the spikes made a massive difference. It cleaned up the already improved bass. The first thing that I noticed was the impact of the hammer on bass kick drums on tracks that I know very well. This is something that never stood out before.  I’m sure that the redesigned bass port plays quite a significant role here. The B1’s created lots of air and on drum heavy tracks I could feel the wind escaping from the bass ports, on the Decades the bass ports are much “quieter”.

The upper frequencies are also more refined and fine details more apparent. Jackson Brown’s Unplugged Vol 1 is a great close microphone recording and the sliding of his hands over the guitar as they change position is quite pronounced. My room is still not perfect but the Decades’ interaction with the room is lot less than that of the B1’s, mostly due to the very controlled bass produced by the Decades and secondly completely decoupling the speakers from the floor.

Are they worth the asking price – hell yes.

Offline H8rlequin

« Reply #6531 on: July 22, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »
So, I am unashamedly quite broke at the moment, having paid for a wedding and honeymoon in April. I have also been unable to find a TV stand that I like... so, I "built" my own.

Offline Tobes

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Music on....world off
« Reply #6532 on: July 22, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »
Put the tv on the wall and save those old speakers  :whistler:
Music is all around us, all you have to do is listen....

Offline Simango4

« Reply #6533 on: July 22, 2018, 11:10:58 PM »
Put the tv on the wall and save those old speakers  :whistler:

+1   The speakers seem like some nice sounding vintage items...TV on the wall, receiver on the floor.
Music is What Feelings Sound Like...
You Don't Stop Gaming Because you Grow Old, You Grow Old Because you Stop Gaming...

Offline H8rlequin

« Reply #6534 on: July 23, 2018, 07:44:22 AM »
+1   The speakers seem like some nice sounding vintage items...TV on the wall, receiver on the floor.

TV can't go on the wall, renting.
Those speakers are not getting damaged by the TV, so it's there for now :)

Seems it's only me that likes the setup. O well!  ;D

Offline HBAutomation

« Reply #6535 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »
Well I think its perfect! I too have a similar issue in my office/wshop where its not possible to drill etc, so an old pair of Sonys work as a table for a monitor!
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Swindlehurstguy

« Reply #6536 on: July 23, 2018, 11:02:58 AM »
Soo, someone bought the B1’s eventually, well done, you have taken temptation away from all potential buyers... phew!

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6537 on: July 23, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
Soo, someone bought the B1’s eventually, well done, you have taken temptation away from all potential buyers... phew!

This is not MadHat's set. This is a new set I bought from Vivid.

Here is a close up of how the spikes and floor protectors have turned out.
post picture online temporary

Offline adie

« Reply #6538 on: July 23, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »
TV can't go on the wall, renting.

Crack filler and paint?

Offline Chingy

« Reply #6539 on: July 24, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
Crack filler and paint?
4 holes for bracket, remove, fill, sand then paint when you leave
VA BW Pre, Tannoy Chevoits,Linn Kann, on Linn Stands,