A Mampara's belated 'apology'...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two fat envelopes arrived in my postbox today from the local branch of a wellknown international insurance company. I've never had direct dealings with them but I assume my broker of almost 40 years have placed my business and private short term insurance with them at some stage.

Inside each envelope was an identical 5-page letter, referring to two separate short term policies I have with them.

Each letter starts with big, fat type: "This letter contains important information regarding the security of your data. Please read this letter and supporting information carefully and contact us so we can support you in any way we can."

Each letter then starts with " I am writing to you today to offer you a personal apology".

Right on, my chinas.

The sordid news is that a backup data tape containing 'certain' of my personal data held on one of their systems has been lost during a 'routine' transfer to a storage facility in August 2008.

Well, whatever data of my personal details was lost, will be current and up to date as nothing has changed during amost 4 decades :mad:

Then follows some platitudes that 'they' have seen no evidence that my personal data has been improperly accessed or compromised since the tape was lost but that I should be aware something untoward can happen and that I 'should take measures to safeguard my position'. With the assistance of the dubious and leaky capabilities of ******Insurance Company South Africa Ltd, of course.

So, it looks like I have been doomed to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life. 'They' knew my bank details, my address and the contents of my modest abode.

Wherever the missing data tape ended up, the recipient/s got manna from Heaven :(

mafioso

Latest posts