Weird sound problem with downstairs neighbour

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenMasters

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a strange issue with my downstairs neighbour. Well, the issue isn't strange but the cause is.

He's become increasingly hostile towards us due to what he claims is "a family of pouncing bears" living in our apartment. He describes my 55 kg wife making food in the kitchen as an "immense bonking of people".

Now what perplexes me is this, the apartments are all sound proofed and indeed none of our other neighbours ever hear a peep out of us. Only on occassion can we hear the upstairs neighbour and only in the dead of night, when she's wearing heels. And even then it sounds muffled and distant. It might also be worth mentioning that we don't even wear shoes in the house. To make things even stranger, the 1200W subwoofer sitting on the wooden floor in my living room, which gets a regular workout, is from all reports inaudible but heaven forbid we walk around or use a vacuum cleaner.

Now how can this be? How can pumping music and movies played at volume almost daily be a non-issue but making our way about the apartment is enough for this guy to flip out fairly regularly?

His apartment is on the first floor and underneath it is a walkway. Could there maybe be some strange acoustical phenomenon at work? Does it sound like a flaw in the soundproofing between our place and his that we should take to the building management? Or his he just an ass? Because certainly, we can't be expected to tip toe around our own apartment.