DIY motorised PC Monitor

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigma_2k4

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello all,

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section but where else would i post a thread on a motors, mechanics and woodwork. 

OK, basically, what I want to do is build a desk/cabinet where I can put my PC, screen, amp, PS3, Processor and chargersall inside and keep hidden so it doesn't clutter the lounge. Now all this I am convinced won't be a problem. However, the part I am a little confused with is:

How on earth can I motorise a platform to rise out the cabinet with my screen on?

I want to do this so the screen can be hidden when it's not needed. Also, then I can have it in the centre of the lounge and use it as a TV when necessary, but when i want to use the projector it can motorise down into the desk/cabinet so it;s out of the way of the projector image.

I have been thinking of lots of things, and I think the solution is to use the internals from a car's electric window. That works on 12volts so can be powered quite easily. The problem is in how to connect the motor to the platform or rails or belt or something (????) in order to get it motorised.

Another point to ponder, is what heppends if the power goes off? Will the motor stay in place or will the screen drop down? etc etc etc

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

Latest posts