A fully functional B&O 4002 at last

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently got another 4002, in addition to one I have had for a very long time. The earlier one has been extensively refurbished, including sending its main board to Menachem Yachad in Israel for replacing every single dodgy part.

While I waited for the board's return, I fitted LED's in place of all the incandescent signal bulbs and did an almost impossible repair job on the speed control lighting and functions.

I also fitted 7 new micro switches under the brushed stainless keypad for good measure, changing the earthing arrangement to work with non B&O amplifiers, fitted goldplated phono jacks (I don't like dangling cables) and last but not least - an IEC socket for the power lead. Oh, and a new, out of the box motor for it.

When the board came back, I fitted it but did not completely assemble it - only placing the coverplates on top as it won't work with stray light entering the 'works'.

I played it constantly for 3 weeks and everything worked perfectly, marvelling at the sound from B&O's MI cartridges which I have here.

Three weeks later, I had a chance to fit all its cover plates and the lid and...it started misbehaving again with the arm dropping in odd places.  All of this happened about 1 year ago and I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot the problem/s.

Until a week or so ago when another 4002 arrived - also a series 5511, the same as the troublesome one.

The newly arrived 4002 was completely unmolested inside and the platter speed was slow but all functions worked, except for the age old issue of the arm not dropping. One could hear the relay clicking but the solenoid and its arm damping cylinder was completely immobile from hardened lubricant.

After taking my time (at least I now have prior experience!), I got everything to work including lubricating the motor which was screeching like a banshee and finally rearranging the earthing scheme with an earth tag at the back and fitting a pair of phono jacks and an IEC socket.

And now I have two...something has to go...

skollie