Author Topic: A fully functional B&O 4002 at last  (Read 1490 times)

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
A fully functional B&O 4002 at last
« on: July 11, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
I recently got another 4002, in addition to one I have had for a very long time. The earlier one has been extensively refurbished, including sending its main board to Menachem Yachad in Israel for replacing every single dodgy part.

While I waited for the board's return, I fitted LED's in place of all the incandescent signal bulbs and did an almost impossible repair job on the speed control lighting and functions.

I also fitted 7 new micro switches under the brushed stainless keypad for good measure, changing the earthing arrangement to work with non B&O amplifiers, fitted goldplated phono jacks (I don't like dangling cables) and last but not least - an IEC socket for the power lead. Oh, and a new, out of the box motor for it.

When the board came back, I fitted it but did not completely assemble it - only placing the coverplates on top as it won't work with stray light entering the 'works'.

I played it constantly for 3 weeks and everything worked perfectly, marvelling at the sound from B&O's MI cartridges which I have here.

Three weeks later, I had a chance to fit all its cover plates and the lid and...it started misbehaving again with the arm dropping in odd places.  All of this happened about 1 year ago and I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot the problem/s.

Until a week or so ago when another 4002 arrived - also a series 5511, the same as the troublesome one.

The newly arrived 4002 was completely unmolested inside and the platter speed was slow but all functions worked, except for the age old issue of the arm not dropping. One could hear the relay clicking but the solenoid and its arm damping cylinder was completely immobile from hardened lubricant.

After taking my time (at least I now have prior experience!), I got everything to work including lubricating the motor which was screeching like a banshee and finally rearranging the earthing scheme with an earth tag at the back and fitting a pair of phono jacks and an IEC socket.

And now I have two...something has to go...

skollie
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:51:25 PM by Skollie »
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline ghostinthemachine

Re: A fully functional B&O 4002 at last
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »
Dis darem maar erg as sulke nice speelgoed in mens se skoot val...  :winkwink: geniet hom  :2thumbs:
Inactive

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Lol dis nie erg , dis nice ...

Non audiophile music lover...

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:44:49 PM »
Dis darem maar erg as sulke nice speelgoed in mens se skoot val...  :winkwink: geniet hom  :2thumbs:

Despite 4002's complexity and the troubles one gets when things go haywire, these turntables are capable of seriously good playback.

Now that I have a similar model to compare with, it should be easier for a futzer like me to get the first one to work properly.

I suspect the trouble is with a clear acrylic part with black vertical lines. If this thing is out of alignment, it will result in symptoms as I have had.

skollie

Offline vintage

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
Hi Skolie; I have a 4000 and 4002 and love them both, I too did the LED convertion and was frowned upon by the GUARDIANS of all thing B&O, but will admit I prefer the LED to the original dim light. I still have the other age old B&O problem, my plater is leaning towards the motor and I need to starighten them both, but even with this issue they sound really sweet, congrats on yours and wish many years of happy B&Oing. jorge

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:30:38 PM »
Hi Skolie; I have a 4000 and 4002 and love them both, I too did the LED convertion and was frowned upon by the GUARDIANS of all thing B&O, but will admit I prefer the LED to the original dim light. I still have the other age old B&O problem, my plater is leaning towards the motor and I need to starighten them both, but even with this issue they sound really sweet, congrats on yours and wish many years of happy B&Oing. jorge

Thks, Jorge :)

The new one's platter is also not perfectly centre in the cutout and I must do something about that.

If yours is leaning towards the motor, it could possibly be a too tight belt OR that the plate surrounding the platter is not perfectly in position where it should be.

There are 3 screws holding the spindle bearing and these screws allow the bearing to be moved, as you know.

I did that with 4002 no 1 but this is a tedious job as the slightest change will cause another platter misalignment.

skollie

Offline charles

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
Dear Andre,

Regarding the B&O 4002 turntable. Many years ago when my interest in turntables "restarted", I collected B&O gear. I still remember the months it took me to repair a 4002 that had more or less the same fault symptoms as yours and also other faults.

I still have the 4002 and will keep it. The MMC 20 series cartridge with stylus it uses are still a very sought after item.

Kind Regards

Charles

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 01:44:56 PM »
Hi Charles

Thanks for your views of the 4002's. Jorge of course has a 4000 which is the "Grand Prix" of these record players and a lot more complex to repair.

You may know that I have 4 turntables set up and connected to various amps and pre-amps, ready to play but the 4002 and other B&O turntables need not 'stand back' for any of the others.

I don't know how the B&O's found me but my present stock is a 3000, 2x1900's, a 1203 and a 1200. The 1900's have been repaired but require lids, the 3000 has also been repaired and the other two await refurbishing, when I don't know.

Fortunately, I have found ways to repair both the SP14-type cartridges as well as the cartridges which fit the 4002's and others.

skollie

Offline vintage

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 04:52:51 PM »
I've head the 1203 but the motor was finished, it lost its umph, they told me it was due to the magnets in the motor loosing the magnitism, nothing that can be done about it, then I had the 1900, I just bought it couse I wanted the MMc20 cartridge it had for my 4000, it was working fine and it hurt to do that,so I modified the tonearm to take std cartridges, worked fine and then sold it, she was very quiet but never had a decent cartridge for it in those days.

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »
I've head the 1203 but the motor was finished, it lost its umph, they told me it was due to the magnets in the motor loosing the magnitism, nothing that can be done about it, then I had the 1900, I just bought it couse I wanted the MMc20 cartridge it had for my 4000, it was working fine and it hurt to do that,so I modified the tonearm to take std cartridges, worked fine and then sold it, she was very quiet but never had a decent cartridge for it in those days.

Hi Jorge

I have done some repairs to 4002 and 1900 as well as 1200 and 1203 motors and have rewound coils of a 4002 and a 1900 motor. The most difficult was the 4002's motor as it has some additional components which I had to ID and then buy.

Soon after repairing the 4002's motor, I managed to buy a new-in-the-box motor.

Regarding the motors for the 1900, I don't think magnets are the issue. Most likely gummified lubricant.

skollie

Offline King_Julian_S

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 03:15:14 PM »
Hey all you guys..
I am gonna call on Jozhua to have a shootout unless you post some pics of all these wonderful gear you are rambling on about....

Pls pls pls
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 07:54:30 PM »
OK K-_J

Here's your chance. In a few days, I will have one of these 4002's up and running and FS. Maybe I'll add a switch for faux mono.

skollie