New guy - new AVR advice pls

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrovega

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

My first post on this forum and already i'm begging  :)
For the last couple of weeks i've been doing tons of reading and some listening to some AVR's. I'm in need of a new one as my dad's old sony is just not cutting it anymore, especially with my blue ray collection now fulling up the 2nd drawer. I have the Paradigm Cinema C110 surround speaker set.
Firstly my budget is around R17000, and i want an AVR with all the current standard features as well as HD upscaling. I'm using the PS3 for blue rays now and have the samsung DVD player with HD upscaling and HDMI out, but it doesn't look as good as when i play DVD's off the PS3, which brings me to my first question. Looking at the Onkyo's and some Denon's they have the Faroudja DCDi goody, but the new Onkyo's have the Reon processor (i think). So are both of these better than the PS3 upscaling? Should i even bother about this considering i don't the the HD PVR yet?
Next, i've just listened to the Onkyo 807 and 707, using lord of the rings. When using the 807, my first impression was, "thats what i expected and amp to sound like" It was full, and sounded strong and detailed. Then we changed to the 707, and i was sooo surprised at how evident the difference in sound was. The 707 sounded flatter and weak. But i do suspect that it was not set up properly, cos the bass was shoddy and dull. There was also an 806 on offer for R1000 more than the 707, but i didn't have a chance to listen to it.
Hopefully this week i will get a chance to listen to the Denon 1910 and 2310 and do some comparisons.
Also while reading spec sheets i noticed that the Onkyo's use Burr Brown DAC's and the Denon's do not. Is this a big drawback on the Denon's part?
Anyways these are my thoughts so far. Oh and also i've been reading reviews on the Onkyo 607 and apparently it's pretty wicked to.
So guys any advice would be very welcome, as i'm kinda new to this whole amplifier business. And oh ya, i have a Samsung series 5 40inch and 32inc LCD and a small/mid sized room. Front speakers are placed on either side of the 40 inch and center is below. Surround rears are mounted directly above the main sofa about 30cm from the ceiling.

Latest posts