GerDAC cntnd

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipwelder

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a follow up on these fine threads:

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,1605.90.html

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,1548.195.html

But the software told me to rather make a new thread... ja, I'm behind the times...

Unfortunately I cocked up reconnection of the PSU's to my RCD855 so I think it is now F*%#d, note to self... Label transformer wires and places better, especially if it has been modded... So I went to buy a cheapass dvdp, as a friend has had good results with a cheapass dvdp... result = hum... my amp grounding connections and the dvdp does not like each other... tried lotsof things in previous flat to get rid of hum, need to undo them now...  ::)

I LOVE the DAC. Listened to it through the panasonic dvd... and it sounded way, way better than my rcd 855 and Nakamichi ever did... when Gert said analytical I thought - might be a problem, but nope, like it quite a bit actually... it gets VERY good texture from the CD, it has a very balanced sound, sibilance is not as pronounced, the ssssss's have detail init, symbals have nice pitch definition, and they don't splash, but radiate into the room, the transients in the piano now have detail and the stereo imaging much more 3d, not just spacious... it coheres a bit better as well. The Panasonic sounds quite a bit better than the LG thingy I bought, not yonks, but still... It does like a decent digital coax... that made bigger difference than the change in transport...

Questions:

the system makes sssssss... if the spdif is not connected / the dvd is not switched on - goes quiet after, is this an issue, should and can it be changed?

1. Wanna change the PSU filter caps BG or Elna types - although I don't mind the hitano's - might use the EXR's I have in a box somewhere...
2. wanna pad the clock.
3. Wanna play with op-amps on the summing stage...
4. Wanna see if reading up on the DAC and the write up and wikipedia, if I can actually understand the design reasoning behind the DAC.
5. Need to bug Gert for the user manual  ;D