Author Topic: Starter kit  (Read 20758 times)

Offline alternativeroute

Re: Starter kit
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
who is Altie?

urghm, that would be me  :EGrin:

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline naks

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
urghm, that would be me  :EGrin:

I get the feeling I should come by your place sometime soon. SWAMBO is going out of town in a couple of weeks...
LG OLED55C7, Oppo UDP-203, Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Offline stevanbuxt

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »
I get the feeling I should come by your place sometime soon. SWAMBO is going out of town in a couple of weeks...

:popcorn:

Offline WAP

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
Thanks to hi-phibian. I received my elemental and tiny toad this morning.
Now just waiting for my vinyls to arrive.

Offline placebo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2014, 08:11:07 PM »
Thanks to hi-phibian. I received my elemental and tiny toad this morning.
Now just waiting for my vinyls to arrive.
I trust you also purchased vinyl cleaning equipment at the same time.Even for new vinyl it is a must.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline WAP

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
I trust you also purchased vinyl cleaning equipment at the same time.Even for new vinyl it is a must.

Yes i got a carbon brush with. Would that be sufficient or do i need more stuff ?

Offline placebo

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
Yes i got a carbon brush with. Would that be sufficient or do i need more stuff ?
Speak to Hi-Phibian.I would have bought the cleaning fluid with microfiber cloth as well.Not expensive.Otherwise read the forum and mix your own.However the Phib's fluid is also anti-static which helps.The Elemental's quality of sound even surprised me.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Offline WAP

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:18 AM »
Will chat to him about the fluid.

Ja it sucks i ordered my vinyls from kalahari last week so still waiting. Everything is hooked up but nothing to ply. :headbanger:

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+43)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2014, 07:57:18 AM »
Don't use fluid on new vinyl without vacuum unless you follow with a serious rinse routine. Even then I have reservations.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline stevanbuxt

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
Don't use fluid on new vinyl without vacuum unless you follow with a serious rinse routine. Even then I have reservations.

What the best for new vinyl then? I find some if it looks dirty and has surface noise. What's the rinse regime assuming one has a RCM?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
Starter kit
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2014, 05:56:01 PM »
Vacuum = RCM
No vacuum/RCM, beware of fluid on LPs that are not obviously filthy.

Rinse in distilled water. How many LPs can be rinsed before you would consider the water contaminated?
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline stevanbuxt

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2014, 07:58:51 PM »
Vacuum = RCM
No vacuum/RCM, beware of fluid on LPs that are not obviously filthy.

Rinse in distilled water. How many LPs can be rinsed before you would consider the water contaminated?

Are you staying clean on  vacuum RCM with fluid.. then re-rinise on  vacuumRCM using distilled water.. all down with a vacuum? AOK for new records?

Offline placebo

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
With RCM squirt cleaner on album.Brush or use cloth to spread evenly cleaning where possible.Turn album over and vacuum while repeating B side.Vacuum B side and bingo.If that does not work album is no good,Take time to do a proper job.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
Starter kit
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2014, 08:17:50 PM »
With an RCM you can clean any record you like.

In the case of no RCM and relatively clean records (for eg new ones) without rinse or vacuum cycle, you are likely to move some of the dirt in to harder to reach places.
Loosing possibly as much as you gain. When a record is visibly filthy, the pros easily outweigh the cons without rinse or vacuum.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 08:22:27 PM by Hi-Phibian »

Offline Chingy

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »
my new starter tt, Yamaha YP-211, needs some love from the tt whisperer, Atly will try to come drop her off this weekend