Author Topic: Starter kit  (Read 12444 times)

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
Re: Starter kit
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 06:50:26 PM »
The JVC is a great deck for the price (it was mine) but it has been sold, to a young lady whose Dad told her NOT to buy a turntable from M****a, and found her this one! (She did go and buy a few LPs from M****a this morning, though!)

:groovy:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Online naks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
The JVC is a great deck for the price (it was mine) but it has been sold, to a young lady whose Dad told her NOT to buy a turntable from M****a, and found her this one! (She did go and buy a few LPs from M****a this morning, though!)
 :groovy:

Ah.

Please keep me in mind when you have another item for sale, pref one with a built-in phono  :thumbs:
Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
Please keep me in mind when you have another item for sale :thumbs:

Will do.

pref one with a built-in phono  :thumbs:

Not likely, given the type and age of the tables I mess about with...  :groovy:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Offline BGD

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 11:34:34 AM »
Spend a little bit more and get the Pro-Ject Elemental from Hi-Phibian. I couldn't be happier with mine. It also looks so nice :D

Online naks

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 11:57:20 AM »
Spend a little bit more and get the Pro-Ject Elemental from Hi-Phibian. I couldn't be happier with mine. It also looks so nice :D

Yeah, I've been thinking of that one. But somehow a 'modern' looking TT just doesn't make sense to me  :sulky:
Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Online Jaco

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Yeah, I've been thinking of that one. But somehow a 'modern' looking TT just doesn't make sense to me  :sulky:

I'm not sure why you feel this way, but it is your prerogative. :pleasant:

I think some of the "modern" looking stuff actually reflect the current trends, whilst also having good WAF.

Getting back to the ProJect, they are very good and best value for money. :2thumbs:

Online naks

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 12:21:04 PM »
WAF.

WAF?

IMHO, this:

looks better than that:

Offline stevanbuxt

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »
WAF?

IMHO, this:

looks better than that:

There is a B&O on this forum for sale! Go for it!!!!

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 12:27:52 PM »
/\/\/\ I agree with Naks - I also don't really like the "modern look" turntable.
But each to his own, and different strokes...
Re WAF: I showed 2 young ladies a Rega Planar 2 (the one with the brown wood trim) last night, and they almost swooned; couldn't stop talking about the beautiful vintage look. (They also loved the sound...)  :groovy:

Online naks

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
yep, personal preference plays a large part in this, hence why I am not doing a quick purchase.

OTOH, this NAD would go well with the rest of the NAD/PSB setup I have: http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-turntables/bellville/nad-5120-semi+automatic-belt+drive-turntable/1001157416240910260029709

Offline stevanbuxt

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »
yep, personal preference plays a large part in this, hence why I am not doing a quick purchase.

OTOH, this NAD would go well with the rest of the NAD/PSB setup I have: http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-turntables/bellville/nad-5120-semi+automatic-belt+drive-turntable/1001157416240910260029709

Me thinks the B&O redone by Skollie would sound better.. my humble opinion!

Offline BGD

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »
Guess I'm a minimalistic kind of guy.  :shh:

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »
Vinyl need not be vintage. I myself don't get vintage. Except for maybe Quad which always had slightly avant style together with Braun, the seventies stuff does nothing for me.

It is of course all in the eye of the beholder and what aesthetic feel you want in an environment.

I prefer the plain black and even coloured Rega look by far to the wood trim for eg. My favorite Rega  is the black with the textured "gramophone" finish.

Anyways, affordable phonos close too. Still deciding on selling them stock or CTI...
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Online Jaco

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »
WAF?

IMHO, this:

looks better than that:

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor.

And as I said: It is your prerogative...
Personally, I don't mind what it looks like, as long as it can spin the big black plastic discs and make beautiful sound.  :2thumbs:

Online placebo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 01:28:33 PM »

Anyways, affordable phonos close too. Still deciding on selling them stock or CTI...
If I decide to go the affordable phono route it will not be merely a CTI but a GTI.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng