Author Topic: Starter kit  (Read 13006 times)

Offline naks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Starter kit
« on: June 19, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »
Hi guys,

Ok, so I know nothing of turntables.

I mostly listen to classical, opera, heavy metal, jazz, blues

Would this be a decent starter kit to start enjoying some vinyls? http://www.dionwired.co.za/ion-usb-lp-turntable-player-wood.html

Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Offline Mistro

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Starter kit
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:24:26 PM »
Noooooooooooooo!!! :stop:
Rather look at the Pro-ject offerings in the Trader's section! You'll hate vinyl if you get one of those!
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline surfsup

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »
Noooooooooooooo!!! :stop:
Rather look at the Pro-ject offerings in the Trader's section! You'll hate vinyl if you get one of those!
+100 000 000 - Do not buy!   
Thank goodness he only took 1 eye and not 1 ear!

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 02:27:14 PM »
No, it really isn't. It is built to a price with plastic bits that should not be plastic.
The thing with vinyl is that if the mechanicals are poor, no amount of electronics will recover the lost bits.

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,34851.0.html

http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,34898.0.html

Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Jaco

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »
Nope...
These ion's are pretty nasty. Their stylus tips are usually very cheap gems or steel in some cases, which will damage your LP's.

You are better off spending the R1.5K on something second hand on this forum.

Unfortunately you get people that buy these  :cr@p: turntables and end up hating Vinyl, simply because the equipment does not perform well.

My  :2c:, but worth a $1 000 000  :giggle:

Offline naks

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
Cool, thanks.

I'll keep looking in the For Sale section until something comes up.

That AR unit looks good, but has been taken.  :-\
Cambridge Audio CXR200, PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub

Offline naks

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 02:38:57 PM »
Btw, are there any vinyl shops around Somerset West/Stellenbosch area that I can go visit to sample turntables?

Offline naks

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 02:54:26 PM »
One more question - do I need to get a turntable with a pre-amp, seeing my AVR does not have a Phono input?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Starter kit
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
You would need a seperate phono pre amplifier or a turntable with one built in. These are not common as quality units but the Project Elemental USB is one that does.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline vinyljan

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Finishing projects
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 07:51:56 AM »
 :thinking:with the way vinyl is going, maybe a sticky? What you need, what you shouldn't get kind of advice?
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline naks

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 12:16:07 PM »
guys, this any good?

Turntable in good working condition. Cartridge and stylus fitted and speed seems steady. Tested and good to go! You will need an amp with a phono input - I have one for sale.

Asking R550 Cash for the turntable only.

(Also in other ads is a Sansui AU217 amp and a Sansui T60 tuner. )

The Sansui P-50 is a hi-fi belt driven turntable with automatic return/shut-off and easy to operate controls.

Features include an automatic tonearm, arm elevation lever and stop switch, static balance tonearm, one-gram tracking, rock steady drive and a solid, shock absorbing cabinet.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sansui/p-50.shtml

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-turntables/kenilworth/sansui-p+50-turntable/1001170801710910017684009

Offline naks

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »
or this JVC:

I am selling a great JVC JL-A20 semi-automatic belt-drive turntable. The table has been serviced, cleaned, polished and a new drive belt as well as a brand-spanking-new stylus fitted. This made-in-Japan turntable from the late 70s shows some outward signs of use (as per the pictures), but is mechanically and sonically in top condition - ready for your vinyl records! I have fitted a lid from another turntable - not original, but fits and works perfectly - no cracks, and the hinges are 100%. Come and listen to it - I am sure you will like it!

From Vinylengine (where you can download the user manual):

Description

The JVC JL-A20 is a 2-speed, belt-driven, semi-auto turntable system with integral tonearm.

Specifications

Drive method: belt drive

Motor: 4-pole synchronous

Wow and flutter: 0.06%

Rumble: 63dB

Tonearm: statically balanced, s-shaped, tubular pipe arm with TH balancing system and tracking force dial

http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-turntables/durbanville/jvc-jl+a20-semi+automatic-belt+drive-turntable/1001170629110910011586309

Online alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
The JVC is a a nice table... Better than the Sansui in my opinion..

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline placebo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 12:40:59 PM »
I agree with Alty.It does look nice.You will still need a phonostage.That JVC could be a very nice starter T/T.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline Rockit

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »
I'd still go with the Pro-ject option (with built-in pre)