Author Topic: Arch Linux = how to feel like a newbie again  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

Arch Linux = how to feel like a newbie again
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
So after over a decade of running Linux and watching Ubuntu turn in to the distro that everyone hates I've been playing with Arch for a little while.  It's quick as hell and robust, but yowsers can it be a ballache to get installed if you're new to getting things done the Arch way.  The end result is worth the pain, though I'm pretty sure I could have done better things with a long weekend.  If you ever need help installing Arch on a motherboard with UEFI firmware give me a shout - I'll never forget what I've learned and nobody should have to go through this elimination process again.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
Re: Arch Linux = how to feel like a newbie again
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:53:32 AM »
^^^ I'll just let you battle and then clone what you've done  ;D
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline I Shot Tupac!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:43:22 AM »
It's a pleasure.  :dop:

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »
Yeah, right. Time you start posting a few howto's so I can have my weekends back.

It's a pleasure.  :dop:

Offline I Shot Tupac!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:33:19 AM »
Yeah, right. Time you start posting a few howto's so I can have my weekends back.

No, I suffered like a fool with the first buggy releases for the wands. Now it's time for someone else to experience what I did.  :ROFLMAO:

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:43:52 AM »
That's just another way of saying you don't know how :whistler:

Pretty purist in its approach isn't it - have had to unlearn some bad habits and also realise that the Arch forum isn't necessarily always the source of truth and insight. I reckon I learned more about the innards of Linux in the last month than I did in the last 10 years.

No, I suffered like a fool with the first buggy releases for the wands. Now it's time for someone else to experience what I did.  :ROFLMAO:

Offline I Shot Tupac!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »
That's just another way of saying you don't know how :whistler:

Pretty purist in its approach isn't it - have had to unlearn some bad habits and also realise that the Arch forum isn't necessarily always the source of truth and insight. I reckon I learned more about the innards of Linux in the last month than I did in the last 10 years.

Exactly my experience when I first started working with Arch. I almost gave up it pissed me off so much, and their online community isn't exactly friendly.

Offline ingenieus

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 10:47:01 AM »
So after over a decade of running Linux and watching Ubuntu turn in to the distro that everyone hates ...

I am using Ubuntu, but with a KDE desktop. It works for me.  :giggle:

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »
^^^ that's because you've become used to bloatware and buggy software. The latest release of Ubuntu server was shipped with memory leaks.

Offline Abu

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »
My ubuntu server outputs to my avr/projector. I've gotten used to rebooting the box BEFORE trying to watch anything if it's been standing a while.  Very irritating but I don't think Ill have your patience to go the Arch route.

Offline LourensC

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »
Welcome!  :clap: I've been running Arch on and of for years now.  For those that want to try it but are a bit wary of the installation, you can always try  ArchBang(http://wiki.archbang.org ). It installs much easier but the results are about the same.
Tiger got to hunt,
Bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'

Tiger got to sleep,
Bird got to land,
Man got to tell himself he understand.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »
My ubuntu server outputs to my avr/projector. I've gotten used to rebooting the box BEFORE trying to watch anything if it's been standing a while.  Very irritating but I don't think Ill have your patience to go the Arch route.
Only reason it took me so damned long was because I'd never tried to install Linux on a board with UEFI firmware before.  Turns out my install image was faulty so I had to rebuilt it using the manual method.  After that it was mostly plain sailing.

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
Welcome!  :clap: I've been running Arch on and of for years now.  For those that want to try it but are a bit wary of the installation, you can always try  ArchBang(http://wiki.archbang.org ). It installs much easier but the results are about the same.

Thx, my installs are headless - server only.  When my raid arrays are fully restored and functional I'll replace Lubuntu with Arch and a suitable window manager.

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
Did any of you managed to get wifi working on the wandboard with Arch?
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 09:00:42 AM »
^^^ just download Triode's SqueezeArch build - there's a thread under Linux subforum on the slimdevices forum.