Web Africa - Pathetic

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atjan

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've now reached the 1 month mark with absolutely pathetic support and feedback from Web Africa. Where I used to be a perfectly happy customer, recommending friends and acquaintances to use them, its now turned completely sour. I'm spending the kind of time on the phone and on emails to them that I used to with Telkom.

Ever since I've asked to be upgraded from a 4Mbs line to 10Mbs line, my trouble started. At the same time I changed my data package from 4Mbs Uncapped to 40G + 40G. This should count up to the same monthly payment - R549.

At first they couldn't figure out why I couldn't get speed approaching 10Mbs. My service also went from very reliable to poor beyond believe. After probably about 15 emails and 5 calls and more than a week, I got to someone who reduced my line speed to about 4Mbs. At this point the service got back to sort of acceptable, although I was still paying for 10Mbs. They also logged a call with Telkom, but no progress there unless I call them and chase up. Also no record on my web account to show progress there. Eventually, after my doing traceroute etc, chasing up again and again, I was told to try a speedtest at 10Mbs setting again. This is 3 weeks after first requesting a 10Mbs line. Suddenly I got 8.5Mbs. Win! But wait....not quite. See the connection still drops out quite a lot. In fact, last night it was not usable again.

Anyway, I've resigned myself to the fact it will probably end up being a huge mission to get this sorted out.

However, the biggest pain, is the billing. Triple charge? No problem. Even after asking specifically for them to escalate my billing issues, I ended up with a cut connection due to 'non-payment'. More calls. Eventually it gets sorted out. I specifically asked the last lady that sorted out my billing issue to check out why I'm not being charged as per the advertised price.
Ok. Now I"m ok. Nope. Checked again tonight and what do you know? In stead of R400 for the 10Mbs line as advertised, WA wants to charge me R876. Then add the data for another R149 and I'm looking at another round of double charging, emails, phone calls, etc.  :please:

As I see it, my only real option is to call Telkom, hang on for 45min, be cut off, call again, hold on for 45min, be transferred, ask for them to move my line back to them. Wait for the line to be transferred, redo the whole lot and sign up with Afrihost.

That seems like less of a hassle than to deal with Web Africa. In the beginning they were great. You used to call and someone would pick up quickly and be able to sort out all your problems. The same person would come back and ensure everything is fine. Now you talk to 10 people, explain everything again and no-one really takes responsibility. Requests to escalate and bitter complaints is not even met with a 'sorry' from the operator on the other end. As if they're not even hearing your issue. And, by their performance, I'd say its safe to say they aren't.

If anyone ask me now, one thing is for sure, they no longer get my vote of confidence, rather look somewhere else.  :2c:

Latest posts