Help me choose a turntable

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krepunk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I think this is my first post :)
I'm looking at getting a turntable and would love some advice from the people that are wiser than I.
I'm sure you all are aware of what's available second hand on avsa and chillivinyl:

So I can get an old Linn Sondek LP 12. Or I can get an old Rega Planar 3 for the same price. Or I can get an Thorens TD160 Super for half the price.
The Linn comes with a RB 300 tonearm with Rondo red MC cartridge.
The Rega with an RB300 and Ortofon MC Turbo cartrdige.
And the Thorens comes with a Linn Basik and A&R C77 cartridge.

I'm going to listen to the Thorens today, and hopefully tomorrow the Linn, but at the moment I'm torn. Apparently the Linn can be an awesome table, but difficult as it requires services and needs to be set up correctly.

There's also the question of just biting the bullet and going brand new, like a P3-24 or an RPM5. I love both although I've only heard the RPM5.

What do you guys think? It's my first turntable so I'm tempted to go cheap and get the Thorens, but I don't want to be looking for another turntable next year or the year after.

Oh, i'll be listening to mainly punk and indie, through a marantz pm17 and some monitor audio rs6's that are awesome :)

Latest posts