Author Topic: MDAC help  (Read 8296 times)

Offline diklip

Re: MDAC help
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 08:39:47 AM »
Don't be.
It's a very good DAC and a great partner for the 8200mb's.
Thanks Drifter,will be connecting to the 8200mb's this weekend.Did my initial tests on some powered speakers.

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
The dac and using it to directly drive  8200Mb's via XLR is a marriage made in heaven , I used mine that way.
You can drive headphones off the balanced outputs too - directly - need no amp..

Coax is a little fragile , so use loosish fitting cables and there was an issue with a headphone amp relay ..but it manifested itself early in ownership , so if you havent had it , you wont get it..
Firmware update will make your dac display "LakeWest" and not Audiolab ...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline diklip

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 09:07:23 AM »
The dac and using it to directly drive  8200Mb's via XLR is a marriage made in heaven , I used mine that way.
You can drive headphones off the balanced outputs too - directly - need no amp..

Coax is a little fragile , so use loosish fitting cables and there was an issue with a headphone amp relay ..but it manifested itself early in ownership , so if you havent had it , you wont get it..
Firmware update will make your dac display "LakeWest" and not Audiolab ...
That is what I will be doing  :rubhands: Just did the update and it says LakeWest :clap:

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
Don't be.
It's a very good DAC and a great partner for the 8200mb's.

If John Westlake didn't support the MDAC directly with firmware updates it would have been an awful mess, especially the entire screw up with Mac OS X playback which annoyed me quite a bit. The firmware updates also improved the sound quality ahead of their other digital players like the Audiolab CD8200. It's got nice features, but I definitely prefer the sound and build quality from my tiny Concero DAC, but the MDAC isn't bad sounding by any means. The headphone output however is quite nice, but a bit dry and analytical sounding, but it got quite close to the Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear. Didn't like the sound when used as a preamp, but I guess its a good match for their power amps which are also dry and analytical sounding.

If I had to pick again I would choose the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 which has a true analogue preamp output stage, as well as an additional analogue input, good headphone amp and costs much less ahead of the MDAC.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:33:26 AM by kamikazi »

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
Have you heard the Emotiva? What headphones and source did you use.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Rodney_gold

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
I wired up "balanced" cables to my Sen 800 and made some up for the Sen650/600's
Ran the whole bangshoot with the DAC directly from XLR and it was an amazing improvement over the HP output.
The 8200Mb's are a clone of the Tag monoblocks , which were something like GPB3000 at the time , those monoblocks are the bee's knees - totally slammed my Bryston 4Bst into the weeds...
the thing about the audiolab dac I really liked was the air of space it gave the sound , soundstage was enormous.. sold mine and I bought another as I missed the sound , once I went DSP active again , I sold it on.
One fly in the oinkment is the vol control , you really shouldnt go below -20db and if you have sensitive speakers , you might find  the mdac/8200 a little too much , ending up with -30db and more  attn , you then need to pad down the output of the MDAC with a resistor network thingy...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 01:38:34 PM by Rodney_gold »
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline diklip

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »
Still no solution to the ticking/popping noise via usb  :ticked:

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 08:22:33 PM »
Still no solution to the ticking/popping noise via usb  :ticked:
and firmware update was successful?

Offline diklip

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 09:38:13 AM »
and firmware update was successful?
Yip,says Lake West when switched on.

Offline kamikazi

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »
Have you checked the USB buffer reading? If you can confirm its not emptying the buffer then we can move on to other issues such as cables and playback software buffer settings etc. I remember having the set the buffer to 100ms from the default 1000ms for the MDAC on Foobar.

Offline WD

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 01:29:50 PM »
Also try a different usb cable.

Offline diklip

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
Also try a different usb cable.
Did,no difference

Offline diklip

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
Ok,so. Mdac cannot work with usb 3.0.Tried my macbook that has 2.0 and problem solved!