Author Topic: MDAC help  (Read 8283 times)

Offline diklip

MDAC help
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:15:12 PM »
Please help

I have the following setup-mdac-macmin-audirvana etc.I am using an optical cable from mac to mdac as the usb makes a noise.That is the first problem.Secondly,cannot get the mdac ,audirvana to show higher than 24/96.How does this all fit together :help:

Offline diklip

Re: MDAC help
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »
Please help

I have the following setup-mdac-macmin-audirvana etc.I am using an optical cable from mac to mdac as the usb makes a noise.That is the first problem.Secondly,cannot get the mdac ,audirvana to show higher than 24/96.How does this all fit together :help:
Forgot there is more-with the usb cable the audirvana picks up the mdac as a source or output,but with the optical it does not and i have to select built in output on the mac

Offline WD

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:02 PM »
Max thru-put with optical is 24/96 - it doesn't support higher bitrates usually. What bitrate files were you trying to play?

What noise is the usb making - normally you just have to tweak the settings a bit in Windowsw to make it work perfectly - presumably you should be able to do the same with a Mac./ Audivana.

Have you googled your problem and looked on the Apple and Audivana forums/ websites for solutions?

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:38 PM »
optical cannot do > 24/96
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Drifter

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • otherside of the Boerewors Gordyn ...
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »
Simple really

USB is limited to 24/96 even though your digital file may have a higher frequency

If the USB makes a ticking noise, it is because of the firmware version.
Updates can be obtained from here: http://mdac.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:32:30 PM »
Optical is one way only while usb is "two way" (duplex), -  so the dac can only identify itself to the computer when connected via usb or firewire.

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 08:33:06 PM »
Simple really

USB is limited to 24/96 even though your digital file may have a higher frequency

Optical is limited to 24/96 NOT usb.

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 08:40:37 PM »
Optical is limited to 24/96 NOT usb.

Actually, quoting John Westlake here:

"re you referring to the MDAC? The optical does function to 192kHz, its just most optical sources and Cheap Plastic Fiber are so bad that its not a reliable connection - so rather then having to constantly field customer complaints that the MDAC’s Optical connection does not work at 192kHz (due to no fault of our own) - we have just rated them to 96kHz.

USB is limited to 96 due to the USB1.1 hardware Spec. Our hardware is designed using the TAS1020B which is a USB 1.1 device (A maxim of 12Mbps, which is just a tad too slow for 192kHz Audio Streaming).

John
"

Offline GECO

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
So that makes almost all these cheap Chinese DACs more functional than the Mdac

Offline Drifter

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 08:48:52 PM »
If you want the best out of the MDAC (have mine for about 2 years now) and I am assuming you are still using the 8200MB's:
1. Enable the digital pre-amp on the MDAC (switch it off and hold the push selector button while you switch it on again)
2. Use the XLR connection between the MDAC and the 8200MB's
3. Update the firmware
4. Use the USB input

Here are the specs:
Model    M-DAC
General description   Digital-to-analogue converter
DAC   ESS Sabre32 9018 chip
Resolution   32 bits
Maximum Sampling Frequency   84.672MHz
Digital input   2 x 24-bit/192kHz coaxial ,2 x 24-bit/96kHz Toslink optical, 1 x 24-bit/96kHz USB
Digital output   1 x coaxial, 1x Toslink optical
Output voltage   RCA: 2.25V RMS,XLR: 4.5V RMS
Total Harmonic Distortion   RCA: <0.002%; XLR: <0.0008%
Frequency response   20Hz - 20kHz (± 0.2dB)
Dynamic range   RCA: >115dB;XLR: >122dB
Crosstalk   RCA: <-120dB;  XLR: <-130dB
Dimensions (H x W x D)   59 x 250 x252mm
Power requirements (depending on region)   220--230V /100-120V (50 ~ 60Hz)
Colour   Black, Silver
Standard accessories   power cord, remote control handset, batteries, user manual

If you want 24/192 then obtain a USB to SPDIF converter such as :http://www.musicdirect.com/c-705-usb-to-coax-adapters.aspx and use the COAX input although optical DOES support 192 although it is only "offically" rated to 96. I have tested this on my side but I still prefer the sound via USB.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:57:54 PM by Drifter »

Offline diklip

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »
If you want the best out of the MDAC (have mine for about 2 years now) and I am assuming you are still using the 8200MB's:
1. Enable the digital pre-amp on the MDAC (switch it off and hold the push selector button while you switch it on again)
2. Use the XLR connection between the MDAC and the 8200MB's
3. Update the firmware
4. Use the USB input
That is correct,will do as you say and see what happens.

Offline diklip

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »
Max thru-put with optical is 24/96 - it doesn't support higher bitrates usually. What bitrate files were you trying to play?

What noise is the usb making - normally you just have to tweak the settings a bit in Windowsw to make it work perfectly - presumably you should be able to do the same with a Mac./ Audivana.

Have you googled your problem and looked on the Apple and Audivana forums/ websites for solutions?
The files where apple lossless.
The usb makes a tick sound every few seconds.
Still looking for a solution.

Offline diklip

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »
Optical is one way only while usb is "two way" (duplex), -  so the dac can only identify itself to the computer when connected via usb or firewire.
ok so it wont see the mdac using optical,but will still function properly?

Offline WD

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 08:57:47 PM »
Actually, quoting John Westlake here:

"re you referring to the MDAC? The optical does function to 192kHz, its just most optical sources and Cheap Plastic Fiber are so bad that its not a reliable connection - so rather then having to constantly field customer complaints that the MDAC’s Optical connection does not work at 192kHz (due to no fault of our own) - we have just rated them to 96kHz.

USB is limited to 96 due to the USB1.1 hardware Spec. Our hardware is designed using the TAS1020B which is a USB 1.1 device (A maxim of 12Mbps, which is just a tad too slow for 192kHz Audio Streaming).

John
"

Didn't realise the Mdac had this limitation - most of the newer dacs support USB 2 rates.

ok so it wont see the mdac using optical,but will still function properly?

As you've found - yes! :2thumbs:

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 09:02:34 PM »
Join PFM and ask around there. Designer John Westlake hangs out there.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za