Author Topic: Music concerts on Blu Ray  (Read 15796 times)

Offline Sparco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Music concerts on Blu Ray
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
Rolling Stones live at the Max

Offline OgreZA

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »
Lionel Richie Live in Paris. Great entertainer with excellent sound and video - shot in HD. This bluray never worked on my Sony BDP-S490. I think the problem lies with the Sony as it works on my other players  (PS3 and UD7006).
If I agree with you we'll both be wrong.

Offline jvr

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 12:28:06 PM »
I recently watched U2's 360 Degrees. Awesome show and a spectacular stage that shines in this HD format. Audio wise I am slightly less impressed though. Maybe nothing will impress me as much as John Mayer's Where The Light Is, which was 24/92 HD resolution audio (this U2 disc is 24/48), or maybe its just Bono's voice that has lost its edge ;) Anyway, if you are a U2 fan I would suggest Rattle & Hum. Brilliant film, incredible show at the end!

Now I am looking forward with high expectation to k.d. lang's Live In London to arrive.
Lend me your ears

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
I recently watched U2's 360 Degrees. Awesome show and a spectacular stage that shines in this HD format. Audio wise I am slightly less impressed though. Maybe nothing will impress me as much as John Mayer's Where The Light Is, which was 24/92 HD resolution audio (this U2 disc is 24/48), or maybe its just Bono's voice that has lost its edge ;) Anyway, if you are a U2 fan I would suggest Rattle & Hum. Brilliant film, incredible show at the end!

Now I am looking forward with high expectation to k.d. lang's Live In London to arrive.
That John Mayer bluray is by far my favourite. The mastering is absolutely fantastic.

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »
That John Mayer bluray is by far my favourite. The mastering is absolutely fantastic.
It set a very high standard which would be difficult to match, which makes it really difficult to appreciate anything else within this format (audio-wise). I have read somewhere that Roy Orbinson's Black & White might in fact be the defacto standard that most music Blu-Rays should be measured against, so there is hope in finding more of the same  8)
Lend me your ears

Online Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »
 >> Roy Orbinson's Black & White might in fact be the defacto standard that most music Blu-Rays should be measured against

Brilliant DVD that!

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline reactor_sa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
I think my dad has 'Eagles - When hell freezes over' on dts dvd. Was also a very well mastered performance.

Offline Henry

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 05:40:33 PM »
I am looking for Roger Waters - In the Flesh.  Have it in Region 1 DVD only.

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 12:55:09 PM »
I think my dad has 'Eagles - When hell freezes over' on dts dvd. Was also a very well mastered performance.
In terms of DVD and DTS mixes, it remains to be one of the best.
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
I am looking for Roger Waters - In the Flesh.  Have it in Region 1 DVD only.
I can't seem to find info on whether this is available on Blu-Ray..? I am in the process of purchasing his Flickering Flame CD from Murfie and I am looking forward to finally receive it.
Lend me your ears

Offline OgreZA

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
Why are there references to DVDs when this thread is about Blu Rays?   :sh1tstirrer:
If I agree with you we'll both be wrong.

Offline JJBGoode

• AVForums Member
  • Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 07:30:48 PM »
A few blu-ray's I really enjoy

Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival 2010 - havn't seen the 2013 one but if it's a good as the 2010 one, its worth it.
Dream Theater: Live At Budokan - probably my fav blu-ray concert so far
AC/DC: Live at Donington - video is soso but sound is very nice, a very energetic concert (Live at Riverplate is also just as good if not better)
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City - amazing quality sound/video
Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live In Budapest - you gotta have some Queen in your collection  :thumbs:

Have lot more but these are what stand out for me  :groovy:

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »
Hungarian Rhapsody: Queen Live In Budapest - you gotta have some Queen in your collection  :thumbs:
I have been toying with the idea of a Queen purchase, but can't make up my mind as to which one I should opt for. There are three as far as I know:
Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid - the Montreal concert was the famous film once named We Will Rock You that also showed in SA theatres during their controversial Sun City shows
Queen: Days Of Our Lives - more of a documentary
Queen Live In Budapest

As well as Queen Live At Wembley, although this one seems to be available only on DVD.

Lend me your ears

Offline JJBGoode

• AVForums Member
  • Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »
I have been toying with the idea of a Queen purchase, but can't make up my mind as to which one I should opt for.

You don't have to toy with the idea jvr, JUST GET ONE  :thumbs:  Well, lucky for you I have all 3 the blu-rays  :winkwink:  (the Wembley one is only on DVD it seems, yes). Yeah, the Queen: Days Of Our Lives is a full on documentary BUT a very good  one. If you are a huge fan of the band like me, it's worth getting. It's damn difficult to say which concert you should get. They are both excellent. You have to check out the track listings of both as there are some differences and you gotta decide which ones you prefer.

The Rock Montreal is a concert, filmed in it's entirety, no interruptions. The Budapest one has some scenes in between here and there where the band chats a bit or does some touristy things. It's few and far between though and does not detract from the concert at all (for me at least). Quality wise, jislaaik  :Ooooooh:  it's difficult to say. The Rock Montreal is mayyybe a bit more crisp (Freddie's voice sliiiighty clearer). Budapest is my no means muffled or dull but it is a bigger crowd and a bit more flashy and exciting (if that matters). Whichever one you buy though, you won't regret it.

AHA, I have it, whichever one you see first BUY IT  ;D

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2014, 02:06:51 PM »
Sound advice :thumbs:

I think it also depends whether one prefers the older Queen stuff (such as those on Greatest Hits 1) or their slightly more commercial, more poppy tunes of the middle to late 80's (such as those on Greatest Hits 2). The Montreal concert covers the older hard core stuff and shows the band in their prime before they started using synthesisers, etc. I saw the original movie and if I remember correctly, the show is quite long and tends to become a bit loud and rocky. One must have an acquired taste to sit through all that drum banging and electric guitar solo's. Budapest, on the other hand, seems to be a mixture of rock and pop with lots of their post '86 material thrown in. I read somewhere that it was one of their last concert tours and that Freddie already knew that he contracted the disease that later killed him. On my part it is just a matter of making a decision though... Must have Queen!

PS. I also read somewhere else about the sound being slightly better on the Montreal disc, especially Freddie's voice.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:13:42 PM by jvr »
Lend me your ears