Author Topic: Music concerts on Blu Ray  (Read 14178 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
Re: Music concerts on Blu Ray
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
Was given an atrocious Led Zeppelin blu-ray, as absolute waste of plastic material.  Even my daughter did not want it.  Have a Rick Wakeman "The six wives of Henry VIII" which isn't bad in parts

Haven't been able to get many good classical concerts, only a Tristan and Isolde, but the tenor shouts instead of sings

Offline jvr

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Rock Art
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »
There are some naughty bits at the start which are not suitable for younger viewers, the costumes are a bit daring, but that band and that voice...
I thought it quite apt for her to perform "I touch myself", even though it bordered on being X rated. The band who originally recorded the song was an Australian band, so it had a nice touch to it...  :pleasant:
Lend me your ears

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 06:23:15 PM »
Was given an atrocious Led Zeppelin blu-ray, as absolute waste of plastic material.  Even my daughter did not want it.
Something tells me you'd consider any Led Zeppelin material atrocious.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • Rock Art
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
Was given an atrocious Led Zeppelin blu-ray, as absolute waste of plastic material.  Even my daughter did not want it.  Have a Rick Wakeman "The six wives of Henry VIII" which isn't bad in parts

Haven't been able to get many good classical concerts, only a Tristan and Isolde, but the tenor shouts instead of sings

What about our modern-day Montovani, Andre Rieu and his colourful orchestra? Not your cup of Riesling? Plenty of his discs out there...
Lend me your ears

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »
What about our modern-day Montovani, Andre Rieu and his colourful orchestra? Not your cup of Riesling? Plenty of his discs out there...

I thought this thread was about good Music Concerts on Bluray?
Andre Rieu is to music what coke is to Scotch whisky.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »
... or what Scotch Whisky is to Coke...  :tongue:

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »
^^^ you been watching your Rieu collection again :tongue:

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
Yep, I have now finished with them - will send to you over the weekend :)

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 10:19:09 PM »

I'm talking about real music, not a studio-full of musicians picked off the street

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • Rock Art
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:05 AM »
I'm talking about real music, not a studio-full of musicians picked off the street
Yeah, my comment was meant to be tongue in the cheek. I did not really expect you to be a huge Rieu fan. When it comes to classical music, one ought to categorise his music with the likes of Ill Divo, Helmut Lotti, et al. The likeness to Montovani's kind of light classical violin genre is noticeable though. I am sure both have been targeting pretty much the same market.
Lend me your ears

Offline anandheeraman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
Anyone seen the Corrs on blu ray.?

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Lerange
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »

This is jawdropping stunning.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline JayMac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
Music concerts on Blu Ray
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
Depends on your musical tastes I guess, but borrow these to consider:

Eric Clapton - Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013 or other years
Within Temptation - Black Symphony
Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake - BBC/Opus Art version from 2008 with Nureyev choreography
John Mayer - Where The Light Is

JayJay

Offline Eish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »
I saw Phil Collins BD at Dionwired a few months ago.  I thought it was fantastically done.  I remember making a mental note to get one.  Never did though.

Problem with music is that taste plays a very big role.  I enjoyed the Hitman, Chris Botti (didn't like it at first, great now), Lira.

Best to buy online for wider choice.
There are rules, and rules must be followed

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • Rock Art
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »
I have not yet made time to watch U2's 360 Degrees, but I have since got myself John Mayer's Where The Light Is and we watched it last night... All of it... 3+ hours if I am not mistaken. But goodness me, was it worth it. Little Johnny can play a mean guitar...! This guy is super talented. He has the voice, he has written some of the best contemporary songs of recent times and his guitar playing is up there with the best. BD is an exceptional format. The HD picture quality (yeah, I have got that sorted out now) + the HD audio quality = mesmerizingly pleasant experience (if you watch the right stuff). The multi-channel 24/96 audio sounds really, really good. Its on par with DVD-A & SACD and in terms of digital formats, you don't get much better. OK, 192 kHz in stereo should sound even better, but I prefer the surround sound experience when it comes to live concerts. This BD's surround sound was very well produced. It gives you the impression of being there right among the front three rows. The sound is detailed and punchy with a distinct soundstage that is both right in front of you (in your face) as well as going backwards on both the left and right sides, just as it would be in the stadium/auditorium if you are seated very close to the action. Was the sound better than a DTS soundtrack on a DVD-V? Yeah, without a doubt. What I like about the John Mayer concert is the fact that there were no added side shows like bright costumes, semi naked dancers, etc, just a very basic set-up featuring at first just himself, then two, three and finally an assemble of musicians playing fantastic, yet very basic blues and rock. If you are not into guitar music, I suggest that you don't watch this one from start to finish in one go. It is highly recommendable though! Next I intend to take on slightly different genres like:
The Hit Man and/or Andrea Bocelli's Vivere, Live in Tuscany
Sting - Live in Berlin
Susan Wong - My Live Stories

Lend me your ears