Author Topic: Post your own reviews of music & films here  (Read 12692 times)

Offline PaganMcLoud

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Post your own reviews of music & films here
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 12:41:20 PM »
LONG WALK TO FREEDOM.

Every now and then a movie comes along that seriously makes you think....
This (for me) is one of those movies.  It makes me think that a guy spends 30 long years in prison and all he gets is this lousy low-budget piece o'    :cr@p:  excuse of a movie to celebrate his life's achievements.  Thank God he was dead before this  :cr@p: was released so he may never know truly the extent to which he was shamed.  Had he been alive to see this I believe he would've asked to be thrown back into prison for LIFE, without the possibility of parole or a TV.
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline Mistro

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 12:45:34 PM »
^^What was :cr@p: about the movie? Was planning to watch it soon :sd:
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline mastermamo

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • The Best Way Forward is dRaWkCaB
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »
I pitched on the EPK for this and after I saw the finished product I thank God I didn't get it

Estimated budget $35 million.
Idris Elba made a horrible horrible Mandela although I did enjoy him in Prometheus (maybe because he had just a few lines  :giggle:
Naomie Harris keeps getting cast to play African roles and she sucks big time. Her accent is putrid and she's totally lacklustre actress. This woman just cannot act to save her life :whip:
Justin Chadwick as director. This dude has been directing tv series not features.
I do agree that even unknown directors should be given a chance but looking at his previous reels...hmmm not very inspiring

IVE BEEN IN THIS INDUSTRY FOR SOME TIME AND THE REASON SA IS GOING NOWHERE IS THAT THE PRODUCERS KEEP INSISTING ON "BIG NAME" ACTORS AND DIRECTORS EVEN THOUGH A LOT OF THEM ARE ABSOLUTELY HOPELESS. WE JUST WONT USE OUR OWN TALENT EXCEPT FOR HAVING THEM ON SET AS GAFFERS, RUNNERS ETC. SUCH A SHAME... :be:

Shot here but our local talent was barely utilised
A waste of money and time honestly.
Poor homage to a great man but thats what Hollywood does...make rubbish to make money (watch Avengers Age of Ultron or Transformers Age of Extinction to see what I mean)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:57:07 PM by mastermamo »
The Best Way Forward is dRaWkCaB...

Offline mastermamo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 12:58:32 PM »
all he gets is this lousy low-budget piece o'    :cr@p:  excuse of a movie

This wasn't really low budget. It just was shot so badly with such poor performances that it looked low budget

Offline PaganMcLoud

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 01:53:49 PM »
^^What was :cr@p: about the movie? Was planning to watch it soon :sd:

Allow me to explain:
I never met the man myself,  but have met quite a few people who have.  One thing I find common about all their experiences is that the man had an air of graciousness and an enigmatic "presence."  Of course this should be taken with a pinch of salt imo,  because (if you ask me) most of these people suffer from their own inferiority complex, and have the tendency to exaggerate anybody else's status.  I will not say anything here that takes away from the man's perceived  "greatness" or state anything to the contrary.  I am reviewing the movie, not the man.

The MAJOR FAIL (for me) is that such a movie should have been (first and foremost) an attempt to inspire....  and the lead played by someone who is both remarkable, and has yoda-like presence.  Idris Alba's performance is instantly forgettable and his presence undeniably "absent"  ...but bad as it may be.... Alba's wasted attempt at portraying the man is not the real downfall of this movie.

Not sure who directed this but I don't really care, and tbh NOBODY is ever going to care because of the clear "missed opportunity" that is represented here. 

The direction of this movie is like a drunk at a crossroads.  "Let's see... should I go with some inspirational speeches?  No.  Shall I provide any insight to the background of this great man?  No.  Should I add any scenes that may explain the man's turn-the-other-cheek almost Gandhi-like philosophy?  No.  Wait... I know... let's make him a bit of a Don Juan lover.  Kind of a Braveheart meets Boogie Nights.  Yes, that's it!  FFS!  Why didn't I think of it sooner?" 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 02:13:08 PM by PaganMcLoud »
From the Dalai Lama:  Cables in allegory, are the "umbilical cord" or thread between life and afterlife. The quality of such life depends on the "source" of the energy, and not on the stitch or the thread...

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »
^^ :OMG: That bad, and so I shall pass!
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline mastermamo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »
^^ :OMG: That bad, and so I shall pass!

Wise choice... :thumbs:

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • Rock Art
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
We watched it a while ago on Mandela day and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Elba made a really good effort to try to nail the accent (admittedly it was not always entirely convincing, but then that would be almost impossible) and the way Mandela walked, among other things. I think he (or the director) intentionally wanted to (under)portray Mandela as a humble, yet passionate and mindful individual (i.t.o. appreciating the bigger picture/circumstances at any given time of his life). The portrayal of FW was more disappointing (although I normally have a high admiration for Gys de Villiers). Worth watching i.m.o. They seemed to have shown respect for the original book and did not try to elevate Mandela into a supernatural being..?   
Lend me your ears

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • Rock Art
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 04:08:32 PM »
^^ PS. Keep in mind that when Mandela was released he was still a rookie i.t.o. politics, i.e. somebody able to play the "charm game". He was at first very proud and insistent on what they (the ANC) wanted to achieve, but with it there was a noticeable sense of forgiveness and getting past the apartheid legacy, which was accurately conveyed in the movie. His aura & charm only came to the fore in the years that followed the lifespan of the book & movie.
Lend me your ears

Offline PaganMcLoud

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 04:12:27 PM »
Also important we keep in mind that JVR thoroughly enjoyed Avengers...   :rubhands: 
need I say more?    :angel:

Offline jvr

• AVForums Veteran
  • Rock Art
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 04:32:35 PM »
 ;D I actually referred to a particular part that had awesome sound effects, but there was another movie that I was being mocked for. Honestly speaking I think it was only the last part of that movie that was somewhat dubious, the rest was pretty entertaining. But let us rather not go there again :shh:
Lend me your ears

Offline mastermamo

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 04:34:40 PM »

Also important we keep in mind that JVR thoroughly enjoyed Avengers...   :rubhands: 
need I say more?    :angel:
Hehehe u r the devil in disguise Mcloud of the clan Mcloud

Offline PaganMcLoud

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 10:05:01 PM »
LOCKE   (2013)

Tom Hardy's a "big" imposing guy!  Some of you will remember him as the brother from "Warrior," the character "Bane" in The Dark Knight Returns or more recently as "Max" in 2015's Mad Max: Fury Road.  Now, I'm not sure what it is about this guy's face exactly... but why does he get cast in movies that require he wear a mask through most of it?  W H Y ?   And who said big guys can't act?

Now on to the review... 
This is not your typical movie.  If you want action, laughs, suspense, etc. then trust me... you'll be better off looking elsewhere cos' this one's "different." 
The entire movie is set on the road where we get to witness an incredibly realistic 1 hour and 15 minutes of a man's life as the drama unfolds in real-time.  Sounds boring, doesn't it?  I know.  And it probably would've been... if anybody else had been cast in this role... but honestly, it's not. 

So what do you get exactly?  Well, you get to witness a master at the very top of his game here.  If you're the type who can enjoy a movie purely for the dialogue,  then enjoying a movie purely for it's acting performance will be a 1st for you!  And what a performance!  There's always an underlying and very real sense of tension here which kept me interested.  This is not an "edge-of-your-seat" kinda tension either, and it's not "forced" in any way, but what's here is definitely enough to keep you watching all the way through.  For me, where this movie truly succeeds... is in what it doesn't show you.  In doing so, it allows you to create the imagery.  I can only liken the experience to that of reading a really good book. 

PS. There aren't many actors/actresses in this one, and then you only really get to hear their voices, but they all deserve special mention here as the performances of every single one of them were incredibly "believable" and at the same stellar level as the movie's main star. 

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:24:52 PM by PaganMcLoud »

Offline AudioD

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 06:55:44 AM »
Now 71
Currently on sale now.

Good compilation!

Offline JonnyP

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)

A young impressionable lad who feels out of place and stifled by his relatives wants to explore the universe whilst his guardians want him to do something sensible like being a farmer.  He meets up with an old man espousing a hardline religion which promises the members eternal life and ultimate martydom.  He is unsure and returns home to find that Imperial forces have killed his family.  He swears allegiance to the cult and with his mentor embarks on a journey to find the terrorist group known as the rebellion with the help of a people smuggler/bandit and his enforcer.  They are captured by the authorities and his fundamentalist mentor/spriritual leader resigns himself to martyrdom with Luke watching.  What follows over the next few years is a universal religious war leaving billions dead after which Luke exiles himself to the outer reaches of the Universe in shame.
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?