Author Topic: Post your own reviews of music & films here  (Read 14215 times)

Offline Stereophreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
    • Danie Hattingh Art
Re: Post your own reviews of music & films here
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:18 AM »
I saw Rango last week with the kids (4 and 6 years old). I know that I have to refrain from recommending a film too highly because I have peculiar tastes in movies, but Rango makes it really tough. The movie is beautifully 'shot' and the characters are rich and deep enough so that you constantly need to remind yourself that you are watching an animated film. The story is pretty straight forward and albeit a little slow in sections, it moves along nicely most of the time. You know the kids movies where people say "It definitely has something for the adults too"? Well this isn't one of those. This is actually more like a film made for adults that is incidentally great for kids too. The line about the "swollen prostate" and "riding side saddle" should give you a hint.

If you are a bit of a movie buff, this movie has so many nods and homages to so many other other old school westerns and specifically Johnny Depp movies, that you'll need to watch it a few times to get all of them.

This is actually very much an old school western, with some hilarious comedy and slightly over the top characters thrown in, but it still 'feels' like an old school western (there is even a character that is the spitting image of Clint Eastwood in the good the bad and the ugly).

This movie has some truly bizarre and breathtaking scenes and richly textured and beautiful 'sets'. If this were a live action movie, I would tip it for the 'best art direction' and 'best cinematography' Oscars. 

I loved it, my kids loved it and are already nagging for the dvd. It is not available in 3D, and reinforces my view that 3D is unnecessary and annoying, and that pushes it from 8/10 to 9/10, BRILLIANT.

Offline dotVIBE

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 08:42:44 AM »
sweet. Rango to the top of the list then  :)
Town of the Cape

Offline mustang76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »
I know it's a bit late, but I found Rango to more of an animated movie for adults.  My son (4) got bored...  As an adult film it's pretty good!

Offline koogs

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »
Rango on Blu Ray is so good! I really enjoyed it but my 4 yr old nephew got bored after a bit.
JRiver-Marantz CD5004-NAD C372-Dynaudio DM 2/7

Kodi-Panasonic BDP270-Marantz SR6006-B & W-Velodyne SPL1000

Offline KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 07:17:05 AM »
Yea, I don't think Rango is meant for children, but I think the marketing side of the business tried to cast a wider net.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:19:52 AM by KenMasters »

Offline Stereophreak

• AVForums Veteran
  • I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
    • Danie Hattingh Art
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »
Could we change the thread title to "Comment on the Rango review"? It seems more appropriate  ;D

Offline surfsup

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 12:35:28 PM »
Rango on Blu Ray is so good! I really enjoyed it but my 4 yr old nephew got bored after a bit.
Hell, I got so bored I fell asleep while watching it on an aeroplane.... :(
Thank goodness he only took 1 eye and not 1 ear!

Offline Reef

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »
Recently watched a music dvd. Orphaned Land - Road to OR-SHALEM. That I enjoyed immensely. Audio quality was superb and the camera works also well done.
Some background info on the band:

Day by day, in every news program on this planet, the Middle-East conflict is a major topic and it is one of the reasons the world we all live in is a world apart. For decades every attempt to make peace between Israel and the Arabian world has remained futile and the death toll keeps rising. Where politicians have failed, a mere metal band daringly labelling its style “Jewish Muslim Metal” or “Middle Eastern Progressive Metal” has actually achieved the unimaginable and united Israeli and Arabian people in spite of all their cultural, religious and political differences and conflicts!

Israel’s ORPHANED LAND is probably the only band from this country that has managed to succeed at building up a huge following among Muslims and Arabian people. These fans communicate freely via the band’s social networking pages, some of them even proudly bearing ORPHANED LAND tattoos, even though that puts them at huge risk in their home countries! Unfortunately, the ongoing political and military struggles still prevent ORPHANED LAND from playing in the home countries of its Arabian fans and friends.

As recent movies like “A Headbanger’s Journey” and “Global Metal” (in which ORPHANED LAND was featured) showed: the loudest, heaviest and most controversial music on earth can act as a universal language, bridging between opposites and overcoming all the obstacles that exist in our hearts and minds. The African musician Fela Kuti once said: “music is the weapon of the future” - ORPHANED LAND is the living proof of that!

A trailer to the DVD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KiB1wQ2ZY
https://www.youtube.com/c/necriteza
Marantz SR8001
Polk Audio Monitor 30
Wharfedale Atlantic SE Center
Wharfedale Atlantic 100SE
Velodyne EQ-MAX 12

Offline surfsup

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »
I finally got to watch "sucker punch" last night. Holy cr@p! What an amazing movie. Enjoyed it imensely.
Thank goodness he only took 1 eye and not 1 ear!

Offline Robert_E

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
The trailer for that looked interesting and had good sound - will check it out.

Offline Prince

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
 8)

Went to watch Les Miserables last night..
-Musicals are not my cup of tea, as the whole Phantom of the Opera passed me by. The only reason I went to watch it, was because I love the story.

All, I can say amazing performances...

I give it... :thumbs: :thumbs: up!!

"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"

Offline deonk2000

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2013, 09:40:54 PM »
I second your take on Les Miserables, best movie of the year for me so far.

Offline Johnnie

• AVForums Veteran
  • Klerksdorp
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »
Not Fade Away

A nice film by David Chase, all about rock and roll, bands and the summer of love! Some good tunes as well!

Offline jvr

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • It was 50 years ago...
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »
Is this thread still active? If so...

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies An IMAX 3D Experience (HFR)

It was my first IMAX experience and I was blown away. The detailed resolution in 3D is simply GORGEOUS and the sound is FANTASTIC! Wow, it was incredible. I am now formally an IMAX fan. I will drive all the way to the closest IMAX theatre to see whatever is worth seeing. If UHD (and ATMOS?) ever gets this good and there is enough material available to make it worthwhile, this is something to consider for the future of HT...

The movie...? Well, the latest instalment was as good as any of the Lord Of The Rings and Hobbit movies... Very, very entertaining.
Lend me your ears

Offline mastermamo

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • The Best Way Forward is dRaWkCaB
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 11:34:55 AM »

I had eagerly awaited the release of this after watching District 9 and loving every minute of it.
Nice cast ensemble, good looking fx, nicely shot...and thats all that was good about this movie.
An absolute disappointment. This was like a media package for Die Antwoord.
How Hugh Jackman put his name on this is beyond me. Perhaps he needed some pocket change between good movies.
The plot was weak, the storyline was predictable and Neil Bloomkamp needs to seriously adjust his directing style as its becoming very boring. Look at Christopher Nolan, Batman and Interstellar look nothing like each other in terms of directing but are both stunning. District 9 was excellent because it was refreshing and new and then came Elysium. Lacklustre with almost the same cast as District 9. And now Chappie.

It was a painful hour and a half watching this. Die Antwoord have been raised to superstar status in a single stroke, yet, they honestly IMO cannot act. The VO artist for Chappie couldn't be more annoying. I mean really, people in SA do not speak like this.

All in all a terribly disappointing movie which gets 1 star from me  :puke:

Entertaining...sometimes
Predictable...yes
A good watch...NO !!!
The Best Way Forward is dRaWkCaB...