Author Topic: Post your own reviews of music & films here  (Read 11864 times)

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
Post your own reviews of music & films here
« on: September 26, 2006, 10:31:03 AM »
As per the forum description, feel free to use this new forum to share your good finds (and disappointments) with the other visitors. Hopefully it will, over time, grow to be a useful resource as decent programme material is never as easy to find as one would think!

Cheers,
Pavel

skinnyfat

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 11:05:07 AM »
Grand idea Pavel !!  :clap:  :clap:

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 12:37:56 PM »
Let's see some reviews then ;)

Offline Stanton Warrior

• AVForums Member
Re: Post your own reviews of music & films here
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Medium - Vinyl

This Montreal-based seven-or-eight-piece Arcade Fire show themselves capable of Big Rock, as original, and as potentially marquee-topping as TV on the Radio and Sigur Ros. Regardless, the intentional murkiness of these pleasantly anthemic New Wave dirges makes it sound as if the music has already reverberated through a crowded cement stadium.

Named after cult author John Kennedy Toole's first novel, Neon Bible is smart and subtle enough to present itself as a personal discovery for every listener, every word to be pored over by fans (as with those of Tori Amos, Pavement, and Radiohead). Surely, lines like "The sound is not asleep/ It's moving under my feet" have already been scribbled onto the margins of countless textbooks. Such words are delivered with less intensity this time, but no less import.

For vocal influences, lead singer Win Butler seems to have traded his '80s Bowie in for an '80s Springsteen, at least on the songs "Doubter Television Blues" and "Windowsill" (though "Intervention" sounds an awful lot like '80s era Go-Betweens). The kitchen sink arrangements include the use of an Eastern European orchestra, pipe organ, hurdy gurdy, and a military choir.

Track listing

1. Black Mirror
2. Keep The Car Running
3. Neon Bible
4. Intervention
5. Black Wave/Bad Vibrations
6. Ocean Of Noise
7. Well & The Lighthouse, The
8. Doubter Television Blues
9. Windowsill
10. No Cars Go
11. My Boby Is A Cage

Another hugely anticipated album is Neon Bible. After the massive success of Funeral, the debut by this Canadian band, expectations were high for this one.

I finally received this after a delayed visit to the PO then waiting for the clerk to understand my real name was not Steve Strange according to my ID book.

A suitable darkly themed sleeve heralds the music within. Although this album is not called 'Funeral' or even 'Funeral II' the music within is similarily tainted with the depression, the occult, the other worldliness of the first album.

We start off with 'Black Mirror', a claustorphobic intense but reasonably reserved piece of darkness. A repeated simple piano refrain makes us feel as we're in a Hitchcock movie waiting for the attack.

'Keep the car running' is classic Arcade Fire. A massive clattering of drums and huge choruses to ...well perhaps not sing along to. But you could certainly bounce along to this at your local goth hangout.

'Neon Bible' sounds a bit like the Russian Death March. The one you used to hear playing when a Soviet president popped his clogs. Its really good though. Goregous strings on this one. Possibly a cello. And the vocals don't sound like the singer is bawling his eyes out.

This one's a cathedral classic. Massive organ. 'Intervention' is again similar to classic Arcade Fire. Except! Even Better!!! God I love this tune. And just in case it wasn't quite majestic and OTT for you, there's a whole Bulgarian choir waiting to join in. Only disappointment is the lack of a cannofire salute at the end.

'Black wave/Bad vibrations' presumably sung by Sarah Neufield isn a wondeful grower. Staring off as a very 80's indie style it switches most abruptly halfway though and utterly wrenches away any hope you might have had left. 'A bib black wave in the middle of the sea' Apparently. And there's some thunder too.

'Ocean of noise' starts out as anything but. One of the quietest Arcade Fire songs ever. Probably. Lovely horn section. joins in the string and vocal crescendo.

Things liven right up for 'The well and the lighthouse'. More familiar territory altogether with funny high pitched noises throughout. Sounds a bit like close encounters of the third kind. Chiming, driven guitar and bashed drums. Beautifully miserable duet. Its got it all. Except a massive organ. Then things slow down while we hammer in the point. Word by word, plenty of pauses for effect. 'res....urr....ected.....living in the lighthouse....if ...you....leave.....them....ships are gonna wreck'. Lovely!

'Doubter television blues' is such a lovely name for a song. Reminds one of 'The sound of music' or perhaps Sesame Street. no such luck. 'Don't wanna work'......'planes keep crashing'....when they scream, they make no sound'......'the black of a starless sky'....nothing tastes good'.....'little bird in a cage'....'Am I the Doubter?'. Having a good day are we?

'Windowsill' is a slow burner and seems to be about teenage blues. Or possibly early 20's blues. Lyrically it all sounds a bit mundane, but I guess its the everyday things that get us all down. It does of course build into a manic climax and ends up all terribly exciting.

'No cars go' will probably be as familiar to you as it was to me. Again its simply brilliant. Sounds a bit like we're in the army. Staccato drumbeat and joint shouts of 'Hey'. And we can all go, 'where no cars go'. A bit like the teddy bear's picnic.

All music suggests that this album is more world weary than the first and implies that this is a bad thing. I disagree. I think it suits them perfectly. This is a marvellous record. A contender for best of the year. Its more varied than the debut and on vinyl is more listenable too. Although not for its audiophiliac qualities. For such a young group of people they're remarkably depressed but it does their music no harm. Its affecting, exciting, majestic and thrilling. Its solemn but impressive. You do need this album.

An organ carries the final song, 'My body is a cage' in restrained fashion before a wall of sound hits us. All at funereal pace. Seems to be about shyness. Its a comedown song to end the album. The last line is 'Set my body free'.

Its well pressed and packaged. 2 slabs of 180grm vinyl. three sides with the fourth etched. (Not particularly interesting etch but etched nontheless)

It also comes with a code for a free download of mp3s of the album which is be done more and more these days of the indie labels. Matt cardboard gatefold outer with matt paper inners. Both inner sleeves are printed with lyrics and credits.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:35:58 AM »
Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke. Before Sunrise/Before Sunset.

These are two movies that I thoroughly enjoyed watching. Saw Before Sunset a while back, and only saw Before Sunrise this evening on TV. That is in the wrong chronological order, but I think in the end it was the best order to see it in. The one movie takes place maybe a decade (probably more) apart from each other, as the story line goes. Interestingly, the actors have similarly aged in the meantime, so the movies were clearly also made years apart. Some might see it as a chick flick, but I think it's somewhat arty.

I don't want to say too much about it for fear of spoiling it. What I do want to say, though, is: Julie Delpy... wow! what a beautiful woman! In photos she looks quite plain. But seeing her act is another experience...

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online Scrat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Real men don't drink pink drinks, Dave....
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »
John Mayer - Where The Light Is (CD)

First off, I'm biased. I'm a huge John Mayer fan. In my not-so-humble opinion, there are only a handful of truly gifted & original artists out there, and he is at the top of this short ladder. This man has received accolades from Eric Clapton, and this release shows why.

If you're not familiar with his work, first get previous albums such as Heavier Things, Room For Squares and/or Continuum. His blues influences comes to the fore in his more recent works, especially on the Continuum album. This "Where The Light Is" release, is a live recording, and very well produced at that. Very few live recordings are pulled off successfully, and this is the best I've heard (granted my collection lacks live recording sets). Some serious guitar on multiple tracks just leaves me with a big puppy-grin, and the previously unrecorded "In Your Atmosphere" is phenomenal. His cover of Tom Petty's "Free Falling" may be the best ever, bar if Christina Aguilera did it nekkid and I missed the YouTube video. If you're familiar with his work, this will not disappoint. If you're not familiar with his work, you deserve seventeen lashes, and you should move out of Pofadder.

I'm getting the DVD too. That's how good it is.
It's not the size of the sub, it's where you place it.

Offline koogs

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:58:54 AM »
John Mayer - Where The Light Is (CD)

First off, I'm biased. I'm a huge John Mayer fan. In my not-so-humble opinion, there are only a handful of truly gifted & original artists out there, and he is at the top of this short ladder. This man has received accolades from Eric Clapton, and this release shows why.

If you're not familiar with his work, first get previous albums such as Heavier Things, Room For Squares and/or Continuum. His blues influences comes to the fore in his more recent works, especially on the Continuum album. This "Where The Light Is" release, is a live recording, and very well produced at that. Very few live recordings are pulled off successfully, and this is the best I've heard (granted my collection lacks live recording sets). Some serious guitar on multiple tracks just leaves me with a big puppy-grin, and the previously unrecorded "In Your Atmosphere" is phenomenal. His cover of Tom Petty's "Free Falling" may be the best ever, bar if Christina Aguilera did it nekkid and I missed the YouTube video. If you're familiar with his work, this will not disappoint. If you're not familiar with his work, you deserve seventeen lashes, and you should move out of Pofadder.

I'm getting the DVD too. That's how good it is.
I have the DVD. Now I want the CD. ;D
JRiver-Marantz CD5004-NAD C372-Dynaudio DM 2/7

Kodi-Panasonic BDP270-Marantz SR6006-B & W-Velodyne SPL1000

Offline gifs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 07:53:13 AM »
I have the DVD. Now I want the CD. ;D

I have it on Blu-ray, and all I can say is WOW!

I have been watching it almost everyday for the last 3 weeks and still not tired of it. It really is an awesome live show, although I reckon the CD is just as enjoyable. I never realised John Mayer was this talented, you only hear his commercial hits on radio which are very good, but the acoustic and trio sets in this show are just amazing.

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
Who's John Mayer?    ;D :o :P

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline DRNB

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »
Who's John Mayer?    ;D :o :P

-F_D

Hoff Mayer's son.
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." (Russian Proverb)

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 09:44:54 PM »

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Online Scrat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Real men don't drink pink drinks, Dave....
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 09:45:34 AM »
norval, I'll have to beat you up.....  ;D ;D ;D

It's not the size of the sub, it's where you place it.

Offline Viagara

• Legendary Member
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Flying High, Digging Low
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »
Hoff Mayer's son.

Excellent! Good thinking Batman ;D
Don't take life too seriously, you will not make it out alive.....

(Location Cape Town)

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:44 PM »
Why did this dry up??

It can be an excellent reference for most of us - eg. Avatar and such.

Or is the same now done elsewhere?
Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties.  (Erich Fromm)

Offline Prince

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
 :o

Sade - Soldier Of Love
-I'm a huge fan and I have all her albums, but this cd, is very bland IMHO. Only the title track has something to offer. Their previous albums had alot more upbeat songs, which I prefer. Why mess so much with a winning formula. I cannot understand why William Kelly would rave about this album. So, as a "big" Sade fan, a huge thumbs down!!

Now on the other hand:
Alecia Keys - The Element of Freedom
-From the intro right to the last track Ms Keys really captivates me and this from someone who never liked her first album. We have a real winner here. I'm definitely going to acquire this album!!
2 Big Thumbs up!!

"F5 Amp Power + Pedal Power = F5 Pedal Power"