Author Topic: Feedback on Couriers - Recommendations and Horror Stories  (Read 124204 times)

Offline chrisflex

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
Re: Feedback on Couriers - Recommendations and Horror Stories
« Reply #270 on: January 05, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »
Aramex was the shipper the Third Party is a member here as well as trading or preying on Carbonite and My Broadband.

So I am not sure that if I mention the name the post maybe removed.
~ music is imagination given instrumentation ~

Online ScottulusMaximus

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+56)
« Reply #271 on: January 05, 2018, 07:42:06 AM »
^^^ That is atrocious.

Who is the "third party" - a courier broker? If so name them, that is the purpose of this thread.

It was us, I appreciate Chris remaining discreet but I will respond below, however this is just our side of the story for balance, not excuses, this is not the service we strive for and I have and will continue to apologise profusely.

Paid the Third Party but after a few days the parcel had not been collected.

Customer lives in a remote area so the drivers aren't there everyday and the driver could not find the address the first day they were in the area.

We then get a frantic call from Aramex in Johannesburg demanding payment after other call to the Third Party and the parcel is finally on its way to Russia.

Docs were submitted on our end but not forwarded to the export department, I still cannot find out who made this call and why, it should never have happened.

and then arrives in the Czech Repulic where it gets held at customs as no parcels maybe be sent between individuals only business to business or so we are told.

Another call to the Third Party.

We are then informed by the Third Party that unless we could provide the name and address of a company in Russia the parcel would be returned.

We state very clearly on booking that we cannot assist with customs issues at country of destination, simply because it is not a reasonable explanation that we are familiar with every import rule in every country. The aramex terms also states that parcels are at clients expense regarding customs etc, these are standard courier fare terms.

Despite all this I pushed for a refund from aramex, this was not forthcoming and we were in fact charged for the return, which I consider fair as it was not their fault, nor ours. Customs is and has always been the responsibility of the receiver, hence it is stated immediately before booking.

With no communication
Again no further communication

This is decidedly an unfair comment on your side, you were supplied with tracking details, we do not monitor individual shipments. I responded within minutes of you raising issues and continue to do so. You were informed the parcel would be returned and were capable of tracking the return leg which took less than a week.

Yesterday the parcel finally arrives back severely molested and the Tivoli radio that was part of the parcel damaged.
The Third Party has undertaken to lodge a claim with Aramex but given their performance so far I have little hope.

The insurance claim has been lodged, I will also continue to push for a refund once our assigned service agent returns from leave next week.

I understand you are upset Chris and I am working to resolve this.
Importing made easy!

Offline chrisflex

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2018, 07:49:51 AM »
This parcel never should have left SA in the first place.

You only communicated in reponse to PM’s never to keep us informed.

Offline chrisflex

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2018, 08:15:25 AM »

Online christempler

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2018, 08:26:02 AM »
Sorry that had to happen to you Chris.

Going to be interesting as to how the weaseling out bit progresses
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel

Online HBAutomation

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »
Seems this is more of a reflection of Aramex not Scott!
When You Come to a Fork in the Road, Take It!            [Yogi Berra]

Offline Gerlach

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2018, 10:10:00 AM »
I'm with HBAutomation on this one. Sorry to hear the damage on your parcel Chris. Scott was the middle person on this one, and Aramex must carry the responsibility on this because the parcel was in there transit. I think Scott will do all in his power to sort this out. 
Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. (Walter Röhrl)

Offline Trompie67

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #277 on: January 05, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »
That parcel has seen a few different handlers, not all under the control of Aramex. Parcel will have been opened in Czech Republic to confirm contents and necessary paperwork (such as a pro-forma invoice as item was not for resale etc.).

Aramex do not own their own aircraft, they make use of commercial carriers, so the parcel is not under their direct control for much of the journey. Unlike say TNT, DHL & Fedex. (Did you know that Fedex is the 5th largest airliner in the world with nearly 700 aircraft?)

Aramex ZA hub + airport staff.
UAE airport staff
France airport staff
Czech Republic airport staff + Aramex hub.

Don't forget the return journey too!

Aramex do not have a branch in Russia, they use CSE, a local company that is affiliated to them and to a few other international shipping companies.

The B2B conditions for parcel delivery in Russia are common knowledge in the industry - This has nothing to do with customs or clearance, it is a conditional requirement of shipping goods there. The sender should have been notified of this, it is not up to the layman to know these things, it is up to the courier broker/company to know operational restrictions & inform their clients.

There are ways to work around it - the parcel can be sent to a shop/retail outlet close to the recipient - Obviously with the consent of the retailer!

Ultimately the sender contracted with Scott, therefore Scott is responsible to sort it out & it seems from his reply that he is doing his best to do so.

Claiming from insurance can be a lengthy process - the question to ask would be: Is Scott insured with his own business policy, or is he implementing a claim against Aramex. If he is insured then the process shouldn't take longer than 7 working days. If it is through Aramex it could easily take up to 30 days.

We found that DHL offer the best rates and importantly the best service for shipping to Russia. They have a local office in Moscow too & are very helpful.

Good luck, I hope it gets sorted out one way or another.
*Insert profound or witty phrase here*

Offline chrisflex

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »
This parcel should never have left South Africa in the first place, full stop.

Both Aramex and the Third Party  neglected to inform us that no parcels maybe sent to Russia other than business to business and this despite that only individuals details appear on the waybill.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+86)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2018, 12:46:47 PM »

Both Aramex and the Third Party neglected to inform us that no parcels maybe sent to Russia other than business to business and this despite that only individuals details appear on the waybill.
And, that is the crux of the matter. Incompetence and disrespect for the customer that caused the unnecessary shipping cost and in addition the cost of replacement unit(s) that in all fairness should be fully refunded & covered.
As far as resulting frustration and disappointment, you will most likely have to settle with that as being the "school fees".
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Online christempler

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #280 on: January 05, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
The company or person that took on the job of transporting the parcel is where the buck stops. If the courier handed the parcel over to sub standard contractors it's his fault. It's not up to the shipper  (chrisflex) to dictate the means whereby his parcel is transported, that is entirely up to the courier that accepted the job in the first place as that's his means of making money.
Morally too the courier should accept fault.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
-Bertrand Russel

Online Katji

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • soundcloud
« Reply #281 on: January 05, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »
Trompie67, thanks for that information, very interesting. Fedex handling their own cargo planes, I wonder how much of the handling at the airports is done by their staff, but either way, it sounds better than any other options.  Russia ! Wow, what a...business. I wonder why the business-to-business only.

Offline Zane Scheepers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • "for the times, they are a changin`"
« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2018, 04:34:55 PM »
I`ve used XOC (Xpress Online Courier) numerous times, which is a company by The Courier Guy. Their service is always good and affordable.
ZScheepers

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2018, 12:04:41 PM »

Both Aramex and the Third Party  neglected to inform us that no parcels maybe sent to Russia other than business to business and this despite that only individuals details appear on the waybill.

This indeed is true, I also tried sending something to Russia a years or 2 ago with DHL whose staff also failed to advise me of this deliveries to businesses only requirement. The parcel arrived in Moscow only to be sent back due to the parcel being addressed to an individual, the parcel also had import duties levied by Sars when it arrived back in Sa.

DHL tried to hand off all the costs including return courier and "import duties" on to me, I refused as they should have warned me about the delivery restrictions in Russia and they ended up covering everything including refunding me the original courier fee. The parcels original box and double box were trashed when they returned but luckily the item inside was still unscathed.

I highly doubt Scott would have willingly sent the item to Russia knowing it wouldn't be deliverable, I can only assume he made an honest mistake of oversight. I would imagine it's part of the learning process in his business, international shipping is a nightmare, impossible to know upfront every arcane restriction and rule, unfortunately sometimes you have to learn the hard way.
Music is in the Mind

Offline SFW

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #284 on: January 18, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »
guys what courier company offers a service where they will box the speakers for you and ship it