Author Topic: Feedback on Couriers - Recommendations and Horror Stories  (Read 124452 times)

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
Re: Feedback on Couriers - Recommendations and Horror Stories
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 08:56:36 AM »
We required five steel panels to be sent from JHB to Klerksdorp, 950mm x 300mm x 300mm, weight 20kG each. Time Freight wanted R330 per panel, total of R1650 plus fuel levies. XOC did the job for R330 for all five.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline zer0

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:15 AM »
You can't blame Shadley Williams, chrisc. It's an easy mistake to make. I've been to a friend's house and I can't recall the amount of times he had to tell me it's an Oppo blu-ray after I said "that's a beautiful vintage car" :nutter:

Offline Danny Boy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »
Stickied - very useful thread.
Is it possible to add a poll to this thread? I think it might be easier for people to see which couriers are being used   :thinking:
HT: Onkyo TX-NR828 | Wharfedale Obsidian 600 | Polk PSW350 | HiSense 60K390 | Zalman HD503 HTPC & Kodi 17.3
Stereo: NAD 3020i | NAD 522 | NAD T515 | Pioneer PL-512 | Technics SB-2170 | RPi 3, PiFi v2 & Moode Audio

Offline placebo

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »
I have used MDS couriers and they are fast reliable and cheap compared to some couriers.I do it via my little print shop down the road so I pay a slight premium.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline Louisek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Junior Member
  • Listen to many, speak to a few
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »
Time Freight "lost" an antique armoire between Johannesburg and Plettenberg Bay a few years back.  It turned up at an auction of goods from a sequestrated shop in Knysna in 2012.  The owner managed somehow to get it diverted to him, but the greedy bloke put a price of R45000 on it and nobody bought it.  Had to pay the auctioneer R220 to release it after it was proved to have been stolen.  It was insured but they only paid R12000 for it, of which I returned R4500 after it had been repaired (the hinges were missing)

Offline roligov

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
  • Durban, La Lucia
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 09:40:04 PM »
I had my Mission MX4 floor standing speakers shipped to me via The Courier Guy and I was happy with it. I suppose it depends a lot on whether the seller has the original boxing and how he packs it.

Online Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+51)
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 09:46:54 PM »
The Courier Guy
Called at 10am to collect an amplifier from Plumbstead, Cape Town. Received at Milnerton, Cape Town at 4pm same day. R51!  :2thumbs:

Offline roligov

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Member
  • Durban, La Lucia
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 11:34:20 AM »
Tried to sign up at "The Courier Guy" but sadly you can't do it online. You need fill our a physical application form with a copy of your ID and a deposit of R1140 as credit to your account.

I urgently needed to get it done went with XOC, who actually users The Courier Guy, and there was no sign up, no account. They were more expensive than going with "The Courier Guy" directly, but when you desperate, you don't have a choice.

I got next day delivery and was super impressed with "The Courier Guy" and "XOC". In the process of opening an account with "The Courier Guy".

Offline Doogle

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
+1 for The Courier Guys - Schalk recommended them to me and have been very happy with their service! Very easy to book online collections too.
Statements Interiors, Cape Town

Online CAD

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 06:24:30 AM »
Very pleasent experience with Star Express recently.Have used them many times before and have always been happy however how is this for service.

I had something shipped from Cape Town this week but paid aorund double of what I was quoted.
So of course I am on the phone to them and it turns out I had stuffed up the dimensions in my email and gave them 30cm X 30 cm instead of 60cm X 60cm. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Gosh I was so embarrased and said no problem it is what it is then.
Hows this, they ended up giving me a good discount and got the driver to go back to my place and refund the difference.
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline 1am7h30n3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
Star Express - had b&w 802N shipped last week (2 massive boxes of approx 90kg each), they picked up on Tuesday and came to drop them off at my house on Thursday (pity I wasn't there because I'd actually arranged with them to be there on the day I took off, Friday) but once that was sorted out they returned on Friday and assisted nicely with the offloading etc. Cost was R1385.10, including VAT, from Cape Town to Centurion, a fair price I feel.

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »
We use ACT logistic , been doing so for many years , prices are good, service is excellent
R870 all in for 2 speakers and a sub + another box , total weight 61kgs , 2 days from JHB to CT
I thought that pretty fair...
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline JJBGoode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »
I used Star Express recently for the first time upon the recommendation of the good people here. I was very pleased. I had a pair of speakers (about 17kg) shipped from Westville to Somerset West. They picked up late Monday afternoon and delivered early Thursday morning. Cost was R240 (COD) which I think is good price. Highly recommended  :thumbs:

Online Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+51)
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »
The Courier Guy - A pair of bookshelf speakers, from Kent Kassler to my home on the other side of the peninsula, same day R51.30!  :thumbs: Now, that service and value!  :2thumbs:

Offline Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
Also bought some items from KK, we used TCG for shipping. R195 to Klerksdorp and the parcels were HEAVY! Good pricing indeed.

-F_D

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/