Author Topic: Feedback on Couriers - Recommendations and Horror Stories  (Read 122485 times)

Offline Mervin

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
    • Security Audit and Control Solutions
Feedback on Couriers - Recommendations and Horror Stories
« on: April 25, 2014, 09:23:45 AM »
Guys I have stumbled across a courier which I really like and is using them for the first time.  I think it is nice to consider.
I am having a package delivered from PE to East Rand (R154.35) inclusive.  You can get pricing online
http://www.collivery.co.za

I have been getting updates

using their tracking option I can get the following (seems their tracker software integrated into the live query)
Estimated time of delivery is 09:20 on 25 April
Driver is currently 0.69 Km from delivery point.
Estimated time of delivery is 09:27 on 25 April
Driver is currently 0.18 Km from delivery point.

Mod please move it elsewhere if you need to but many of us purchase and always ask questions.
I have been using others with hit and miss, changing prices for same source and destination same packages
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:18:12 PM by mahleu »
Behind the cupboard door... Narnia

Offline KlyvQ

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • i'Numba mayik'bambile... ayik'Yeki...
Re: NOT FOR SALE: Just feedback on couriers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
Sounds very good.  :thumbs:
(.) Sweet Spot (.)

Offline Mervin

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
Collivery 1517044 Status is : Delivered
This was updated to delivered at 09:26 on 25 April

From the tracking system and got an email few seconds after the wife signed for the package!
This is me watching from Tanzania... love technology.

Offline zer0

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
I've been using them for about 3 years. Recommended them previously as well. Great service and prices :thumbs:

Offline Mervin

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 09:32:51 AM »
Never knew about them... love the tracker system where you can see exactly how far the driver is from you.

Offline zer0

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »
Don't go according to that Mervin. Also not the estimated time of collection/delivery. If I'm forced to complain about anything that would be it.

Offline Mervin

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Was my first time using them.. one day outside delivery but I like the online quote system, doing the waybill yourself online and more...

Offline rodga

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:09:41 AM »
Also used them before, they were well priced

Offline BigEd

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »
I've also used them before and can highly recommend them. Fast, cheap and efficient service.
I used to pray for a bicycle, then I figured out how it works - I stole one and prayed for forgiveness...

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
Re: Feedback on Couriers - Recommendations and Horror Stories
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »
Stickied - very useful thread.

I still swear by Star Express for anything heavy. For light things, Fastway is nice but you have to prebuy the stickers or bags.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline Kontanie

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
Stickied - very useful thread.

I still swear by Star Express for anything heavy. For light things, Fastway is nice but you have to prebuy the stickers or bags.
[/quote

+1  Star Express
8  Acoustic Panels - Strand to Witbank MP @ R 315.00

Offline kamikazi

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »
I also used to swear by Star Express, but my last deal with them was a bit of nightmare when it came to billing. They completely messed up the waybill. Will definitely look at Collivery next time. Also very happy with Postnet's Postnet -> Postnet service for R100. Not much hassle collecting your parcel from a Postnet branch, unlike the Post Office.

Offline Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+51)
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »
I use The Courier Guy a lot. Very efficient and cost effective. They have a online tracking system which will email status updates on your package as well. They also have various shipping options for small or large goods.
http://thecourierguy.co.za/index.php

They operate Xpress Online Couriers as well - there you can book, pay and arrange your whole shipment without leaving your desk. You don't even have to make a phone call. Works like a charm, extremely convenient for once of consignments. Rates are very competitive as well.
http://www.xoc.co.za/

Online chrisc

• Trade Count: (+116)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 06:34:57 PM »
The only real horror story was from Fed-Ex who shipped an Oppo 93 from the US to me in 2007.  The buying price was $1600 which at the time was about R 7000.  I got a call from Fed-Ex that I must deposit R27500 for fees and customs.  I told them this was ridiculous, the FOB price was $1380 so the duty, VAT and fees should have come to no more than R1320.  They argued the toss for a week, then got their collection agents onto me. I had asked several times for a breakdown of the R27500 but received nothing.

After 4 to 5 weeks, with phone calls 3 times a week from these collection people, I received the local Fed-Ex invoice.  The Oppo was declared as a vintage motor car, with a value of $13800 and had all sorts of certificates of origin, each one had to be verified for a fee.  It took about 5 phone calls to persuade them that it was not indeed a vintage motor car but a piece of computer equipment weighing 3.2Kg.  They were still adamant that I should pay the R27.5k and they would apply to Customs for a refund.  I was told it could take up to 18 months.  After a bit of trouble, I found the email of the CEO of Fed-Ex in Jhb and told him the whole story.  He phoned me on the Monday to say he had never heard such a ridiculous complaint.  About 3 hours later, he called again and said it had been sorted out and I would receive the parcel that afternoon.

The customs entry clerk in CT who muddled it all up, one Shadley Williams, is still in their employ today as far as I know.  It wasn't his fault, he says

Edit:  Fix typos
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:37:32 PM by chrisc »
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Danny Boy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
They operate Xpress Online Couriers as well - there you can book, pay and arrange your whole shipment without leaving your desk. You don't even have to make a phone call. Works like a charm, extremely convenient for once of consignments. Rates are very competitive as well.
http://www.xoc.co.za/

My money is also on xoc.co.za. Extremely fast, affordable and status of the shipment is readily available.
HT: Onkyo TX-NR828 | Wharfedale Obsidian 600 | Polk PSW350 | HiSense 60K390 | Zalman HD503 HTPC & Kodi 17.3
Stereo: NAD 3020i | NAD 522 | NAD T515 | Pioneer PL-512 | Technics SB-2170 | RPi 3, PiFi v2 & Moode Audio