Author Topic: "Rollerblocks" DIY  (Read 4170 times)

Offline vinyljan

Re: "Rollerblocks" DIY
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »
Strong magnets anywhere near your cartridge may not be good. I know someone who can detect 4 fridge magnets brought to withhin 1m of the tt.
DOn't know enough but this might be a valid point. :thinking:,any opinions?
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline skollie

• R.I.P.
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth.
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
Fridge magnets are made from ferrite and are low flux. Some can barely hold a small sheet of scrap paper against a fridge door.

mafioso
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline SeanS

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »
Fridge magnets are made from ferrite and are low flux. Some can barely hold a small sheet of scrap paper against a fridge door.

mafioso

But those neodymium magnets are another story.. I have some on the fridge that the kids can't remove. Not sure they belong near a TT.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »
We were having such fun with rolling voodoo I did not want to distract.
I for eg do not use strain relief springs on RCAs as that is magnetic steel. Imo audible for worse,
Then again there are arms with magnetic anti skate and even magnetic arm bearings
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline DeonC

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
Some of those magnets from Magnets 4 u come in their own pods. Also remember that neo is basically self-shielding in a sense. I guess that is because they are so focused, but neo-magnet speakers do not interfere with CRT monitors and TVs.

I am starting to think those Magnets 4 u magnet pods would be the ideal solution- both poles are at the bottom, so there should be very little stray magnet fields above them. Someone willing to contact them and get some prices?
Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Offline chris

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 10:27:45 PM »
Just send Rob a e mail he will get back to you in no time. I buy a lot of magnets from them and always had good service.

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »
For the record I didnt believe the magnet story I was just relaying it. I am not sure they were fridge magnets by the way they were being used to hold up some fairly weighty cardboard so could have been more powerful.
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
Creatively using 3 ball and magnets might get you enough distance?... but I do think the weight of the TT, will be more than a match for the magnets... momentum and all
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 02:39:05 PM »
Sorry for being dumb but I dont get this magnet solution. It's nothing like rollerblocks where the weight of the tt or other component actually pulls the component back down after a shock. Magnets hold on and when they lose their firm hold that's it your turntable is going over onto the floor. And given they hold on so tight while they are in control how is this going to sink the energy in the system?
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »
In a maximum bank turn in a normal category airplane, like a typical Cessna, everything is fine until you turn across your own wake

Offline vinyljan

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »
Sorry for being dumb but I dont get this magnet solution. It's nothing like rollerblocks where the weight of the tt or other component actually pulls the component back down after a shock. Magnets hold on and when they lose their firm hold that's it your turntable is going over onto the floor. And given they hold on so tight while they are in control how is this going to sink the energy in the system?
Wasn't sure the video was going to load. Weight of the base of the tt is about 5kg, 4 balls on 4 magnets.