IB for my HT

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abu

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm planning to get into the ceiling this Easter and start (and if the kids allow me, finish) my IB. I read the cult of the infinitely baffled some time ago so thought I'd get stuck into it again to start the planning of my project.

1st up the hardware
4 x 15" Star Sound SVC drivers (Thanks Ian for your generosity!)
iNuke 1000DSP amp (Thanks Mike for the backwards/forwards in organising this for me!)

The room it will go into is my dedicated HT room of 3m wide by 4m long, so...

1st decision: Line Array or manifold?
Apparently line array gives the best performance but they are big (I don't mind) and they need to be properly stiffened/braced to avoid ceiling flex. In a manifold if you mount the drivers facing each other the mechanical forces will cancel each other out so you won't have that issue... but then the sound quality suffers a bit. Will bracing the line array to the joists be sufficient stiffening?

2nd Decision: Placement
General rule of thumb seems to be in the front in between the mains. I know about putting my current box sub at the listening position and then measure where the IB would be.. Would it be accurate enough if I use a normal uncalibrated (cheap) mic plugged into my laptop to use with REW?

3rd decision: Line Array/manifold composition
For strength they recommend laminating 18mm MDF and 18mm OSB together. Where do you get OSD (builders didn't seem to have last time I checked) or what can I substitute it with.. 2 lots of MDF?

I think that's it for now.. LOTS more to follow but your insights would be appreciated on the above questions.

Cheers.
Shaun