Sound Systems in Commercial Movie Theaters

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karabo C

AVForums Member
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
I remember many years ago when I watched The Lion King for the first time in Dolby Digital theater ? I was blown away by the sound. I even went back and watched the movie about 5 more times just for the sound. That was in 1994.

It seems to that these days commercial movie theaters do not particularly care about the quality of their sound systems. I went to the same theater where I first saw The Lion King and aside from the other annoyances (ringing cellphones, crying infants, people applauding the on-screen action ? a whole topic on its own) the sound was very disappointing.  The theater?s side walls were rattling during the loud passages scenes & there was audible distortion throughout the movie. Not to mention the fact that the soundtrack for some reason changed during the movie to mono sound. 

This seems to be the general trend in movie houses I go to these days. At this point, the best movie sound I can get is through my own system.

Anybody know of theaters in the Gauteng region that offer decent sound systems?