6th order bandpass enclosure - Whoah!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereophile

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I slapped together a nasty looking box for two 6.5" bass drivers I had lying around. It really is nasty looking, hence the absence of pics  :-[

BUT, I found the amount of decibels I got out of these drivers unbelievable. Surprisingly flat in a small bakkie cab, and MUCH lower than the sealed boxes they where in. I actually laughed the first time I played it.

There is an intermittent and rare strange buzzing sound when listening to radio only. I haven't got the same sound yet from playing my own music.

Have any of you built one of these subs? How did you find them? Are they really as hard to build as people make out and I just lucked out completely?

Most importantly, has anyone built one for home use? As I understand, a car interior really helps smooth out many of the bumps and the fact that a car is such a terrible place for sound in the first place also doesn't hurt. So, has anyone built a decent sounding 6th order bandpass for use in a home?

If you don't know what it is, this is what it basically boils down to: http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes6.asp

Latest posts