95% finished speaker project..

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanS

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi All, thought I would post pics of my newly built speakers..

I have a few things left to do:
grills
replace the galvanized bolts used for footer!
Finish the XO..  (600Hz 2ND order (woofer 2ND LP) (mid 2ND HP 3rd LP) (Tweeter 2ND HP)

XO is nearly complete, am just trying to finalize the woofer lowpass XO. I suspect I have baffle step compensation issues. On measuring I have a hump of approx 5db peaking between 200Hz and 500Hz. I calculate the step would kick in between 130 -350 Hz according to my box measurements..

They sound really good so I'm reluctant to try fix.. above 500Hz things are flat enough to make me happy. I have built a 2ND lowpass XO and will give it a go this weekend. But that's the fun part!

Box is 22mm MDF, well braced, veneered with Zebrano. The front baffle is 50mm, 44mm with a 6mm sheet attached. (edged  and veneered with Zebrano, stained and varnished). On a granite base. (With cheap galvanized bolts in between!). Mid is in a separate enclosure,4L, woofer is approx 78L. XO is in a separate enclosure (back bottom). Weight excluding granite is approx 50KG per side.

Speaker is ported, tuned to approx 32HZ, I have used 8mm gutter piping, in a cut down joiner.. so I can slide different length ports in to test. So have been flipping between 32/35/32HZ port tuning.

Drivers
MDT30s - Morel
HM130Z0 - Audax
PR240M6 - Audax

I'm very happy with the sound so far but still fiddling..

Attachments

• IMG_06761.JPG
    IMG_06761.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 164