DRC experiments

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So after treating my room and getting order of magnitude better ETCs and frequency response I decided to give Denis Sbragion's DRC another whirl with my fav audio player foobar courtesy of its convolver plug-in.

First off my new 1/2" mic has a noise floor below 20 dB which has reduced some hash that was evident with the Behringer measurements and allows me to sweep far quieter than before.

Whereas before I had to be very conservative with the amount of correction applied, I can now start to reap some real benefits and it's had a definite effect on the soundstage, over and against the the already massive improvement after the side-wall treatment. The "bass" for my listening position had disappeared, just the way I like it. When the recording calls for it it is very much there with full response to 20Hz, but the tendancy for certain frequencies to pop and boom is even more behaved than after bass trapping and 10m^2 of wall treatment.

On the downside, the system plays almost 6dB quieter which is putting a far greater demand on the amp-speaker combo. It's still my 3" HiVi PC speaker setup and it's sounding better than it has any right to. I still need to find a target function to my liking as the HF is ever so slightly emphasized, but so-far I am quite happy.