Author Topic: Now Playing......Jazz  (Read 19758 times)

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Now Playing......Jazz
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
For those whom love classical music and would like to listen to some jazz artists with classical music upbringings and albums, here's a little taste of some the music I have the cds of :

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:02:55 PM by AlleyCat »
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2015, 09:05:49 PM »

"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 12:26:35 AM »
Some very nice selections there  :2thumbs:
Bobby McFerrin is quite adventurous, have an album of him with YoYo-Ma - Hush. Also enjoy a bit of classical every now and then!
And the ladies....Lynne Arriale and Eliane Elias ;D
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
Mistro, thanks and you are correct. Have a good few albums by both ladies and really enjoy their music.

Here's some live albums, amongst some others I have just received. The Diane Schuur is one of my favorites and she's on fire, love her takes on some of the standards which are super and Besame Mucho is a particular standout. To me the middle and south Americans really come to grips with this song like no other, check out Mayra Caridad Valdes version, magic!

The Lynne Arriale came witha dvd too, lovely!

Offline AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 06:53:21 PM »
Very slowly going through my pile of new cds purchased, some oldies but goodies!

I have 2cds of this album and the lp ( which sounds excellent!)

Offline Peter Carpenter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
Sorry no pics. guys, like this thread & hope to search out the above for listening.
Here's a few enjoyed:
Frank Rosolino: Free for All
Claudio Roditi: Samba Manhattan Style & Gemini Man
Stix Hooper: Many Hats
Kim Richmond: Tribute to Stan Kenton
Bob Curnow's: LA Big Band
Claus Ogerman & Michael Brecker     
NIRVANA: you could try CD Universe for difficult stuff to source, haven't bought anything local for years & have spent cold wintery days on that site, all recent music sourced from that site after much listening to clips.

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+61)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »
Got this one as a birthday present some years ago from my wife & daughter who are well aware of my respect for Marcus Miller's musical brilliance.
CD & DVD, stunning.

and then today, finally, I came across the Miles/Miller original 1986 vinyl release that I have been looking for ever since!
Mama mia... Cannot take it off the turntable - just keep swapping the A and B ...

Tutu!!!!

The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 08:33:29 PM »
^^^Nice. Achim had a live 3 cd Marcus Milleralbum that I have not seen yet with some stunning  music on it. FDYLSYS I have most of Marcus Miller's music but not that live album.

Here's a favorite cd that's get a twirl at least a good few times a week, the renditions are addictive and the recording is fantastic with the stand out track for me ... Continuum, some of best bass playing by Brian Bromberg on all the albums I have of him. Oh yes, I am playing it right now.....:

Offline Peter Carpenter

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »
Jaco makes for wonderful listening as does his 'Choices' compilation, played this weekend,
as was 'Marcus' by Mr. Miller, got to mention 'Always' by Nelson Rangell. 

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 05:17:41 PM »
Thx Peter,I will definitely jump on that site,I've been  :drool:ing over all the stuff presented here by AlleyCat and Mistro! 
Mike,yes,Tutu is special,and must be even more so on vinyl!  :thumbs:  U have my address...  :rubhands:

So much glorious music,so little time (and money  :giggle:)
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Nirvana

• AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »
Oh yes,and at least I was also able to identify Eliane Elias...  ;)
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 01:35:23 AM »

Local talent of note!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 09:45:30 AM »
Mistro, I am impressed with your range and scope of the jazz music you have and listen to!

I have a few Avishai Cohen cds but have to admit he's not one of my favorite bass players, no doubt he's technically skilled but his music will fit nicely into avantgard, world music or the extremes of ECM jazz styles. I would to see him produce a straight up standards album with a smallish band, trios or a quartet.

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
Thank you Allan, I love the music and really enjoy a good album.

I agree, some ECM records do tend to be on the extreme side; I really don't like music with a lot of synthesizer based sound hence I have a love/hate relationship for the likes of Pat Metheny. A standards album would be nice!

Offline Capetowntracks

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »
I really don't like music with a lot of synthesizer based sound hence I have a love/hate relationship for the likes of Pat Metheny. A standards album would be nice!

One in that vein that might then appeal to you - and one of my favourites - is Standards (and other songs) by a Metheny disciple, Mike Stern. I was disappointed to hear Stern back on his more familiar territory of a more rock-oriented sound at the CT Jazz Festival a couple of years ago because I would have liked to hear him explore his quieter side. But it was 10 years later, I suppose.