Author Topic: Now Playing......Jazz  (Read 20895 times)

Offline Mistro

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Now Playing......Jazz
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 12:56:08 AM »
From the local scene, Feya Faku has to be one of my favourites, my uncle gave me a copy of this back in high school and I got instantly hooked.

Kyle Sherphed - Dream State

His style of play reminds me of Robert Glasper, when he's not doing the Black albums.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Online AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »
One of the best albums i have listened to in along while [ released late 2014] :

Any of the classical music lovers who are considering listening to some Beethoven, Chopin and Mozart music with a jazz tinge will be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the music and performances on offer here. Jazz aficionados will love it too. Excellent album.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline wanda

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • soothe your soul
    • avforums south africa
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 07:25:24 PM »
A collction of 3rd Force. Can't get enough of the track 'Journey To Nowhere'. Gets my juices flowing....intoxicating & haunting at the same time.
living in the shadows & loving it...

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 01:14:43 AM »
After the soccer I got into it...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Online AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 07:46:31 AM »
Mistro, I can see that you have a great appreciation for jazz and I am trying to find a meaningful way to respond and sometimes this is not easy. We also have very similar tastes.

An example : I would love to listen to that Kurt Elling album that you have and ten to one will buy it if I like it, however I have a good few of his albums and have moved onto other artists I would like to explore too. The process of loading albums here is tedious &  time consuming and I would at least like to give some reason(s) as to why I like the music.

I an on holiday at the momeny and promise upon my return we will have lots of fun together exploring each others albums,

Cheers,
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 01:25:07 AM »
Mistro, I can see that you have a great appreciation for jazz and I am trying to find a meaningful way to respond and sometimes this is not easy. We also have very similar tastes.

An example : I would love to listen to that Kurt Elling album that you have and ten to one will buy it if I like it, however I have a good few of his albums and have moved onto other artists I would like to explore too. The process of loading albums here is tedious &  time consuming and I would at least like to give some reason(s) as to why I like the music.

I an on holiday at the moment and promise upon my return we will have lots of fun together exploring each others albums,

Cheers,

Allan, I do really enjoy jazz and each listen brings excitement to me. As you said it's sometimes rather a mission to upload each album one listens to and I always want to share the music I listen to but I find myself lazy or busy with work whilst I listen and so end up not sharing, but with thread things should change! There's much to listen to, share and explore.

Enjoy your holiday!

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 01:45:03 AM »
Some of the latest ECM offerings...

Vijay Iyer - Piano, Stephan Crump - Double bass and Marcus Gilmore - Drums

www.allaboutjazz.com/break-stuff-vijay-iyer-ecm-records-review-by-karl-ackermann.php

Kenny Wheeler - Flugelhorn, Stan Sulzman - Tenor saxophone, John Parricelli - Guitar, Chris Laurence - Double bass and Martin France - Drums.

www.allaboutjazz.com/kenny-wheeler-songs-for-quintet-by-john-kelman.php

Chris Potter - Tenor and Soprano saxophones and Bass clarinet, Adam Rogers - Guitar, Craig Taborn - Piano, Steve Nelson - Vibraphone and Marimba, Fima Ephron - Bass guitar, Scott Colley - Acoustic bass, Nate Smith - Drums, Mark Feldman - Violin, Joyce Hammann - Violin, Lois Martin - Viola and David Eggar - Cello.

www.allaboutjazz.com/chris-potter-underground-orchestra-imaginary-cities-by-john-kelman.php

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
Finding this thread very enlightening guys,keep them coming!  :thumbs:

If I may ask,where and how do u guys source all this great music - online via Amazon etc? Because even the better CD shops don't have 80% of what one looks for!  :facepalm:

Cheers
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Nirvana

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Very Addicted
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »
For example,been lookin for that Kyle Sheppard to no avail,Mistro,even tried googling and ordered,but nothing happened...  :nfi:
Never b flat,never b sharp,always b natural

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
Hi Nirvana, for local content I usually get them from Top CD and Look n Listen (but my local branches have closed down  :vsad:), ECM have an online store so you order there, Murfie Music, Amazon for other CDs and then in Pretoria there is a guy who has a small shop located at Burlington Arcade, which is between Andries Street and the Kruger Square, he takes orders.

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
Sunday morning session..

Still to come..

Online AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 07:52:22 PM »

Online AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 07:55:30 PM »

Online AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2015, 07:59:06 PM »
Know these beautiful ladies? Clue : they are very serious and acclaimed jazz piano players ( and one of them is a very good vocalist too)

Online AlleyCat

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2015, 08:08:21 PM »
Two excellent cd's to test your system with, throw the proverbial audiophile descriptions at them.