Author Topic: In the shade of my Stetson  (Read 110092 times)

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

Re: In the shade of my Stetson
« Reply #570 on: February 07, 2021, 06:19:45 PM »
Recorded in 2004 it was initially only released on a small silvery disc with a center hole to large to fit on the turntable.

This was rectified in 2015 when Crow Jane Alley was released o a real record by Music on Vinyl/Eagle records, consequently You can
obtain this is studio version now, not only the live Youtube version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3VJcebyXM&list=OLAK5uy_khRcCtl9N3V-RsjqtCJidvFf3buQ2X7cw&index=3

Ingvar
A senile Swedish loudspeakermanufacturer, ponytail and all, why is he here?

Responsible for H.A.D Halland Audio Design and The vacuumed cat Company.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #571 on: February 14, 2021, 12:18:54 PM »
Arrived from Switzerland on Friday, released 2019 but I didnīt notice that, stumbled on it on Discogs a while ago and after tedious customs processes it is here now.

Sounds like recorded a long time ago but all songs previously unreleased, and it is as true and real as anything JJ Cale always is.

Full album available here until You have time to visit Your record store:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuYUczRI0Ps

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #572 on: March 18, 2021, 08:52:57 PM »
New arrivals today, this was one of them.

I find myself out of words when it comes to this record, can not say anything but go get this one while You can find it.

Can say this thou, this is a magic record, please do try to find it, or listen to it on spotify or other stream service it is there.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #573 on: March 19, 2021, 01:31:32 PM »
Another one that arrived yesterday, the postman rang twice, as he should.

This is one very good record, grammy award winner, both for album of the year and song of the year for 24 Frames.

Former Drive By Truckers member and founder of the 400 Unit band there is a lot of good stuff heīs been involved in.

Entire album here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIC4KY4Ak6s&list=PLK72xYfu4-TRkJHzNCp1SpCajMtc0FZqc

Do give this a listen if You havenīt already.

Ingvar

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #574 on: March 19, 2021, 06:16:49 PM »
Croak Audio
Analogue by birth, digital by design. Mostly a StereoType though known to enjoy some Mono too  http://www.croak.co.za https://instagram.com/croakaudio?igshid=1wzr83vlqtbyy

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #575 on: March 20, 2021, 11:58:59 AM »
Yes, very, very good too.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #576 on: April 09, 2021, 12:01:07 PM »
Mailman was here a short while ago, he brought this:

Some of those already talked about here, some not, bought for replacing worn out samples or for comparison with original editions, Gordon Lightfot and Bob Seeger for instance.

These are the original MOFI editions, all cut from the original master tapes and no digital processing, half speed  mastered/cut on very high quality vinyl interesting to check if they are better than the original edition.

Ingvar

Offline Trompie67

« Reply #577 on: April 09, 2021, 01:39:39 PM »
^^^^ You have a most enjoyable (and late) evening ahead of you!

Enjot  :2thumbs:
"Trumpets are a bit more adventurous; they're drunk! Trumpeters are generally drunk. It wets their whistle."
Paul McCartney

With thanks to F_D for this pearl of wisdom!

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #578 on: April 10, 2021, 11:59:47 AM »
Did a quite extensive comparison yesterday evening, as I have never held the "audiophile" type of records to be interesting, or good, in this case there was a good reason to compare.

This:

With this, the 1974 original edition on Reprise records:

Before any sound quality issues thou, this is one really good record, his biggest success too, some amazing songs here, remember that Gordon Lightfoot is one of Dylans favourite songwriters, was John Prines favourite songwriter, and Bob Dylan said "there never was a better songwriter than John Prine".

The original 74 record sounds fantastic, there are signs of 46 years use but in good shape, extremely good recording.

The MOFI edition, pressed in Japan the same year, 1974, from the same master tape but half speed cutting of the master matrix, unopened until yesterday obviously is quieter regarding surface noise (using the JVC-MC1 surface noise is , more or less, not a problem)

Tested/compared through speakers and through the Grado phones and the differences are not major, except in the LF region wher the MOFI edition is far superior in extension, dynamics and resolution.

So if You have the original, stick to that, if shopping for this record and You find a MOFI, go for that.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #579 on: April 11, 2021, 06:27:32 PM »
Ok, so how about this:

Compared to this:

The original is a fantastic record, first of all the music of course but also the recording, face A recorded at Pampa Sound Studios Detroit, except track 2, Title track Night Moves and also trac 5 on face B recorded at Nimbus Nine Studios Toronto.

The first four tracks on face two is where the major difference between the original and the MOFI editions shows, those are recorded with the M.S.R.S instead of the Silver Bullet band and at Muscle Shoals Studios Alabama.

The music is not a bit better on the MOFI edition but on the 4 tracks where M.S.R.S plays it is far more obvious how good those musicians were and actually more fun to listen to, either way, a record that everybody needs, original or MOFI.

Ingvar

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #580 on: April 11, 2021, 07:07:08 PM »
May I add these? Early days and raw as can be.

IMG_0562 by jdza, on Flickr

The Bob Seger System:

2+2-as good an anti war anthem as ever written,the wonderful Train Man. Many others. A gem of a debut

Mongrel.
Hard and loud: If the title track doesn't stick in your head for days,you Sir/Madam/Indeterminate person are dead,hear me, D-E-D.

Smokin O.P.s:
That stands for smoking  other people's. Apparently some people always bum cigarettes,never having their own. Would that be called Martin Beck syndrome in Sweden ? Whatever, here we have Detroit's finest doing other people's songs. And does he do them! Only a blithering idiot or total nut would dare tackle "River Deep,Mountain High" after Ike and Tina Turner but here Bob pulls it off with all the rumble and drama of a Hemi on nitro.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:10:58 PM by Agaton Sax »

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #581 on: April 11, 2021, 07:51:50 PM »
May I add these? Early days and raw as can be.

Yes Johan, You can add whatever You want whenever You want.

The Ramblin Gamblin Man Debut is a very good album, most Bob Seeger Albums are that, the first solo, after "the system" the one before Smoking O.P.S, is also very good, pretty worn now thou.

Those that want to smoke but seemingly never have any cigarettes is a universal species, when they ask I always offer a gigarette, most dont want my non filter type so they decline.

Ingvar

Offline Agaton Sax

« Reply #582 on: April 11, 2021, 08:00:35 PM »
Yes Johan, You can add whatever You want whenever You want.

The Ramblin Gamblin Man Debut is a very good album, most Bob Seeger Albums are that, the first solo, after "the system" the one before Smoking O.P.S, is also very good, pretty worn now thou.

Those that want to smoke but seemingly never have any cigarettes is a universal species, when they ask I always offer a gigarette, most dont want my non filter type so they decline.

Ingvar

"Maak my lus" is Afrikaans but should be universal like "Trek" and "Veld"  . So I visited these 3 albums just now. To my horror. I see "River Deep" is on Mongrel not on O.P.s. Still, "Bo Diddley" , "Love the one you're with','If I were a Carpenter", "Hummin Bird"and others more than make up for that lapse.

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #583 on: April 11, 2021, 10:16:07 PM »
In this case there will be no comparison, mainly due to the fact that I have nothing to compare with.

Never heard or owned this record, heard/read about it in the late 70:s.

This was recorded on a Thursday, at the Greek theatre LA the 24:th of august 1972, the day I turned 15, at the moment I am a bit short of words, this record is so good that I need to search a bit for something to say, without resorting to copy/paste from Johans writings regarding Michael Faraday.

Listening to this record I understand why some critics/culture reporters have claimed that Neil Diamond was the best live performer ever.

Some of the Neil Diamond classics, Sweet Caroline, Porcupine Pie, Solitary Man, Song Sung Blue, CracklinīRosie are here in a magic live environment, Musicians that probably was the best in the world at what they did at that place in time.

The sound, which has nothing to do with this MOFI edition, itīs all from the hands of a brilliant recording technician, this is one of the best live recording I have ever heard, on the level of Bellafontes Carnegie hall, but this is LOUD! This is a full string orchestra and some extremely good rock musicians, the bass is the best I ever heard on a live record, extremely dynamic, tone correct and close to brutaly powerfull sometimes.

But musically, a very, very good record, but then I always liked Neil Diamond

If You need advice regarding buying this record, please PM me.

Ingvar

Offline Ingvar Ahlberg

« Reply #584 on: April 17, 2021, 05:07:52 PM »
So while we are checking the Neil Diamond catalogue out, what about this:

I did already have this:

But never gave it that much time, stupid. This is one very good record, good songs straight through, his voice is, IMO, one of the best ever.

Have not got the slightest idea why itīs called the Jazz Singer thou but never saw the film, but no Jazz on the record, but some damned good songs and extremely well recorded and sound is magic.

Available here, but I think You should by the real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=neil+diamond+the+jazz+singer+full+album

Ingvar

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=neil+diamond+the+jazz+singer+full+album